Imperial Pale Ale (My 3rd Batch)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoopdogg315

Reaction score
Sorry guys/gals no pics in this. I brewed my 3rd batch, Imperial Pale Ale went very smoothly. It was an extract kit from Brewers Best. Says that the ABV will be around 8%!!

My quick question is, since the abv is typically higher, is the fermentation a lot more aggressive? The first 4 days the blowoff tube was going crazy, since then its slowed.

I'm going to let it stay in my primary for 2-3 weeks then bottle. I'm really excited about this batch!!

I would think so, but I've not made that strong of a beer.

I'd certainly ferment and condition it longer than usual. I generally give most of my beers 4 weeks of fermentation and conditions, as well as a full week in the fridge. Were it my beer I'd likely give it 6/6/1.

What are the IBU's, and hops used?

More goes into fermentation aggressiveness than OG (temp, yeast health and number, strain, etc.). In fact, I brewed a 1.108 OG stout that didn't even need the blowoff tube I rigged. But I kept the temp at about 61.

All things being equal, though...yeah, I would say fermentation would be more aggressive with a higher OG.

You should transfer into a secondary carboy around day 5-7when SG balances out for a double fermentation with this brew.

Latest posts

Back