im just full of questions tonight

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

furniture_guy

Reaction score
What is the proper pressure to set my CO2 tank to keep my beer fresh? Does it differ for different keg sizes?

Actually it differs based on beer style and serving line length. 10-12 psi is a good place to start. Search the forum for "line balancing" or similar terms.

furniture_guy said:
What is the proper pressure to set my CO2 tank to keep my beer fresh? Does it differ for different keg sizes?

The size does not matter.

The "fresh" comment has me confused there. Do you mean "nicely carbonatd for drinking" or did you mean "not spoiled"? I'm assuming you meant the former....

I'm brand new to kegging, but I believe you want to set things around 12 psi (+/- a little depending on how carbonated you like your beers).

What is the proper pressure to set my CO2 tank to keep my beer fresh?

Assuming you are used to using air pumps on commercial kegs, this is a reasonable question. Since the CO2 is keeping oxygen out of the keg, any pressure would do it. Even people that make RealAles will use 1/4-1/2 psi on the cask, just to keep air out.

The flat vs. carbonation curve is a matter of taste & 10-12 psi is a good place to start.

Back