I used wrong directions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaptk2

Reaction score
I got a Special Holiday Ale from Austin Home Brew. However when I brewed last night I used directions from a different kit by mistake. I realized that I was using the wrong directions when I came to the aroma hop addition and the hops were different.

The major diffrences between the two recipes were how the grain was steeped and the amount of water. The AHB recipe wanted 15min at 150* for the grains. I did 30min at 155*. The difference that I am most concerned about is the amount of water the AHB recipe called for 2.5 gallons I used a full 5 gallons for the boil and steeping the grains.

I am worried because when I tasted the wort and it was very bitter, not like my last brew which was way sweet with a bitter finish.

Is this going to turn out to be a drinkable beer?

Water is not a problem - the other is only a problem if you REALLY want the kit to be exactly as advertised - otherwise - if might be BETTER!!

Doing a 5 gallon boil when the directions called for a 2.5 gallon boil will increase your IBUs 30-50%, depending on the target levels and OG. Higher gravity ales will have less of a delta. Holiday ales require longer aging and the bitterness will mellow. I would keep this batch in the fermenter for 6 weeks and then check the flavor. A small (1-2 oz) of lactose can balance the bittering or you could steep some C120L and add it to the batch for the same purpose. But, give it time.

Doing a 5 gallon boil when the directions called for a 2.5 gallon boil will increase your IBUs 30-50%, depending on the target levels and OG. Higher gravity ales will have less of a delta. Holiday ales require longer aging and the bitterness will mellow. I would keep this batch in the fermenter for 6 weeks and then check the flavor. A small (1-2 oz) of lactose can balance the bittering or you could steep some C120L and add it to the batch for the same purpose. But, give it time.

My starting gravity was 1.060 the estimated starting gravity on the kit was 1.050.

I don't understand what "delta" is can you explain?

I will let this one sit for a long time adding lactose if necessary (hopefully not), it just has to be ready in bottle in time for Christmas, good thing I gave myself plenty of time. :)

I think he meant the recipe was meant to be a partial boil and he went with a full boil.

The PH would be off and I'm not sure what that does (love to know though).

The larger boil volume will extract more bitterness from the hops as your taste buds confirmed. Your brew will have a higher IBU but otherwise should be fine.

Latest posts

Back