I used WAY to much LME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hhankinson

Reaction score
This is a noob mistake, (my second batch) not worrying if I ruined my brew, but curious as to what may happen.
I was attempting a Yuengling clone, scaled down to 1.5 gallons. I scaled the hops, grains, and DME down correctly (I think), but I used 4lbs of Munich LME, Instead of 1.5. Got a good hour boil going, made my hop additions, chilled the wort to 69 degrees, pitched some US-05, aerated etc...
This morning I have a lovely Krausen and some energetic bubbling, so it looks like it's moving along nicely. Anybody have any ideas as to what three times the called for LME will do to this batch? I'm not going to dump this, just going to wait and see.
Any input will be appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

A malty sweeter beer with more alcamahals.:) Did you pitch the whole pack of yeast? I would. Also your making a lager clone with ale yeast. Watch for blowoff it could get crazy. Isnt Yuengling a light lager, I wouldn't think there would be Munich or much of it in it? You also may need to let it sit a little longer than you intended before botteling.

Thanks for the responses!
I used .11 lbs of carapils, .11 lbs of crystal 10l, 4 lbs of Munich malt LME, 1.5 lbs amber DME, .6 oz cascade hops (3 additions), and .3tsp Irish moss. I don't have a hydrometer yet, so OG is a mystery...

Well the LME alone is going to give you 1.096, plus whatever else you added. I think you may have made something like a very underbittered barleywine. Maybe you can boil some hops in water and a tiny amount of DME and dilute this batch in half. Otherwise I think it's going to be sickeningly sweet.

edit: posting simultaneously. The OG is not a mystery with extract, it's worse than I thought you're going to be at 1.139 ignoring the crystal for a moment. I think you need to try to dilute this.

My procedure was steep the grains until I hit 170 degrees, drain them. Added the DME and LME brought to a boil, .3oz hops at 60 mins, .15 oz at 30 mins, Irish moss at last 15 mins, and the final hop addition .15 oz at 5 mins.
Chilled the wort and added 1/2 the packet of US 05 (rehydrated for 15 mins).

I almost would do that too. If you have a 3 gallon carboy and do like 2.5 giving headspace. I would consider it. Then pitch the rest of the yeast. I would think about doing it quick today or not at all. Yeah, its pretty much a barleywine at this point. I made a small batch of a 1.09 gravity with something similar to your recipe, it sweet and yours would be sweeter probably. Mine finished around 1.02 I think, it is ok and got better with time but just ok really and wish it would have finished lower.
Now you got me wanting to pull those a few bottles of those batches out of my basement to try tonight.

Or you could let it ride see where it finishes then add some funky Belgian yeast to finish it more as a suggestion.

Ok, thanks for the input, I'm going to try and dilute this into a 3 gallon batch ASAP.

Yeah as of right now - I don't know the AA of your hops but plugging everything in and using 6% for the cascade - you're going to be around 1.141 and 18 IBU. This would be undrinkable. I saw a podcast with the brewing radio guys where they boiled hops in plain water adding all the extract at the end and were able to extract about the same perceived bitterness as a regular batch. Even diluted in half this is an IPA strength beer, you're going to need more bittering. I'm not sure it was scaled properly to begin with, 1.5 amber DME plus 1.5 lb LME would give you 1.080 in a 1.5 gal batch.

EDIT: Ignore all I said before, just dilute this three to one and make a hop tea (ideally out of the water you're adding to bring it to 3 gal) to bring the new volume to at least 30 IBU. Or flush it and try again. Or drink it, whatever. If you've never had awful, strong beer there may be some novelty in it.

Well that was exiting! I think I even managed to do it without aerating the wort too much. Thank you for your help!

Back