Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > i think my LHBS is lying to me {Carboy Prices GoinG Up}

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2008, 08:48 PM   #1
King MF Midas
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default i think my LHBS is lying to me {Carboy Prices GoinG Up}

i went to my LHBS the other day and for one he had no cornies and two he said they don't make glass carboys anymore, that the factory had closed its doors and the remaining stock of glass carboys went quick. i've never bought any online before but i'm sure shipping isn't cheap.

i have'nt gotten a chance to go up there lately but i have some English ale in my secondary thats been there for lke 6 weeks. it should be ok right?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2008, 08:51 PM   #2
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 361 Times on 297 Posts
Likes Given: 97

Forrest (AHS) told us a little while back that the Mexican factory that makes carboys stopped manufacturing them, so the only glass carboys coming into the country would be Italian and probably cost about twice what they go for today ($40 - $45).

Better Bottles are a perfectly valid alternative (I'd argue superior, except perhaps for VERY long-term aging, north of six months or so).

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 08-26-2008, 08:53 PM   #3
dblvsn

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Your LHBS is not lying to you. This has been discussed for awhile now on the forum. Carboy prices to double <--clicky

You might want to look into Better Bottles

Old 08-26-2008, 08:56 PM   #4
SuperiorBrew
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The only North American glass carboy manufacturer has stopped producing

Glass carboys. There is an Italian manufacturer that makes them and I am sure they will be available but with high transportation costs you can expect the price to increase significantly.

Your English Ale should be just fine as long as it was at a decent temp during the 6 weeks.

Old 08-26-2008, 09:02 PM   #5
King MF Midas
Recipes 

thanks for the quick reply, i took a few looks in some forums for a thread about it already but i guess i didn't look hard enough. so you guys don't recommend better bottles for long term fermentation like a barley wine?

Old 08-26-2008, 09:08 PM   #6
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Personally, I just have not yet been convinced that the O2 permeablity is close enough to 0 to use it for something that would be aged THAT long. I'm sure some people have done it and it's probably fine; my comfort level for something that's going to be sitting for a year is that it be in glass (or stainless). If I couldn't get a carboy, I'd probably put it in a cornie.

But, this is still an area that's of some controversy.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie

Old 08-26-2008, 09:21 PM   #7
johnsma22

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 26 Posts

I don't think that even long term aging in Better-Bottles would be detrimental. The whole "glass has zero oxygen permeability" is a myth. The TOTAL oxygen permeability of a glass carboy, as a system, is not zero when you take into account the rubber stopper in the neck and liquid filled airlock. In typical use, I don't think it would be a stretch to assume that more oxygen diffuses through, or leaks by, stoppers and liquid-filled air locks than diffuses through the walls of Better-Bottle with it's solid PET closure and PET airlock.

Old 08-26-2008, 09:21 PM   #8
SuperiorBrew
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have an apflwein in a better bottle that I made on superbowl Sunday. I will see if I can taste any differences when I get around to kegging it.
Honestly I am not anticipating any.

Old 08-26-2008, 09:25 PM   #9
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsma22 View Post
I don't think that even long term aging in Better-Bottles would be detrimental. The whole "glass has zero oxygen permeability" is a myth. The TOTAL oxygen permeability of a glass carboy, as a system, is not zero when you take into account the rubber stopper in the neck and liquid filled airlock. In typical use, more oxygen diffuses through, or leaks by, stoppers and liquid-filled air locks than diffuses through the walls of Better-Bottle with it's solid PET closure and PET airlock.
This isn't an issue that I'm necessarily convinced I'm right about. I just haven't heard enough people say "Dude, I aged my BW for a year and it was fine!" yet to convince me. In large part, that's just because they're still pretty new to market. It'll be interesting to hear more real-world experienced trickle in regarding this question.

For anything that's to be aged less than six months, I wouldn't hestiate in the least to use a BB.

Old 08-26-2008, 09:26 PM   #10
bradsul
Flyfisherman/brewer

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I've had wine in a BB for over a year and I've had a belgian tripel in a BB for almost a year. No problems with any of them. Other people's mileage may vary but I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Projects: Sylvania Kegerator Conversion, Tower Cooling, Grain Milling Station

Quick Reply