i put my hands in my fermenter, is it likely to get infected.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CarnellSitka

Reaction score
So Im a young student in B.C. where beer is expensive (minimum $2 a can). I recently started home brewing and kegging and my friend asked me to brew some kegs for his party and pay me real money for them! the problem is the party is this saturday. Keg 1 is fine i started a brew a 10 days ago at low Alch, so it should be good to go for saturday, but Keg 2.... well i started right away, and made another low alch coopers draught using only dextrose, it will be green but it should work.

Well this is all fine and good but my personal keg is almost finished and my XMAS stout is weeks away.

So tonight at 10 pm i started on my coopers Canadian blonde, and i messed up.

I sanitized all my equipment and i guess my hands too with 1 step, and then while pouring everything together in my fermenter i dropped my can of extract in and i think gouged the bucket a little, without thinking i grabbed it, submerging my hands.

I googled this but could not find the answer,

Am i doomed to infection?

It will probably be fine. Beer is fairly tough to infect. Keep in mind people have been brewing for years before sanitation was even conceived. As long as your fairly sanitary in your preparation your beer should be fine.

I dropped an un sanitised spoon in my fermentor and like you dived in for it my brew was perfect,

Then the first brew I did I didn't sanitise the fermenting barrel (forgetting) although I don't recommend it but that turned out fine also

Happy brewing and enjoy your party

There's a thread somewhere on here where people share their errors. Dropping items in the fermenter is a common one, but so is the follow up comment: "best beer ever" :) Relax, it will probably be fine.

RE: i put my hands in my fermenter, is it likely to get infected.

I don't know....where has that finger been?

Erich8 said:
Nothing like a little iron to fortify your beer with.

Oh god :/ I hope you informed people before drinking it....I suppose that's what you could call iron brew haha

the problem is the party is this saturday. Keg 1 is fine i started a brew a 10 days ago at low Alch, so it should be good to go for saturday, but Keg 2.... well i started right away, and made another low alch coopers draught using only dextrose, it will be green but it should work.

I would be more concerned with serving beer that is less than a week old at a party than your chance of infection. Remember, patience is a virtue and when you start giving your yeast enough time to do their thing, your beer will improve a lot.

EllisTX said:

Don't worry they may not pay anything once they taste it for it being a week old,

And it's illegal in the uk also you should accept tips and contributions towards the ingredients not payment for It....loopholes my friend

Tips for sure. Put out a sign that says "If you like my beer, help me make more!" with a tip jar.

threads like this make me feel better about my first brew. i've been worried that i'm going to wait this long for the beer and then have it come out infected. i would probably punch a baby in the face if that was the case. i'm really excited to get my first brew done...

Back