How much pressure can bottles take?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Captain Damage

Reaction score
Did I make bottle bombs?

Sunday I bottled a ginger wheat. Ray Daniels recommends high carbonation levels for wheat beers, so I went for it and used 8oz dextrose in 5 gallons to give me 4 volumes of carbonation. I've never carbed anything that high before. Are these bottles going to explode? (I'm just using regular longnecks.)

Get a large Rubbermaid container with a lid to put them in and wait. We'll see in a couple weeks!

I'd go with this. If you stick them in the fridge now they'll never carb and there really is no other way to find out.

Get a large Rubbermaid container with a lid to put them in and wait. We'll see in a couple weeks!

That's EXACTLY what I did, except I plan to bottle-carbonate some of EdWort's apfelwein in the bottles the apple juice came in! I've read LOTSA naysayers' comments, but not a SINGLE one who either did it and suceeded...or did it and failed! The juice bottles are #1 PETE...the same as soda bottles, except the juice bottles have a heat-sealed seam, and the plastic is a bit thicker. My contention is that the 3-quart juice bottles will work just fine for bottle-carbonation. Just in case I'm totally wrong [it's happened before...just ask SWMBO!!!], I plan to put them in a large plastic storage tub with the lid firmly CLOSED.

If you're interested to see what happens, check the "Man, I Love Apfelwein" thread in a week or so. My new hydrometer is on its way, and I'll bottle after it arrives.

glenn514:mug:

I brewed a Weizenbock that fermented down to 1.001. Primed to get 4 volumes of CO2, and after about 6 days I started getting bottle bombs in my 12 oz. bottles. Heard one or two burst while I was in the basement and I hurriedly got the rest of them into the fridge as soon as I could.

Back