How Long Is Too Long In The Primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrcoldone

Reaction score
Hello, I have been slackin for a few months due to various reasons. So I'm bottling two batches today and both have been in the primary for a little over 2 months. One is a chocolate smoked porter the other is just an american light with honey added. I was wondering if these both will be ok? Like I said they have both been in the primary and I'm thinking they can go bad due to sitting on the yeast cake for too long. Im really hopping I'm wrong! Its funny, I couldnt keep a brew in the primary for more than 2 weeks and now they have been sitting for 2 months :( please someone tell me they will be better with my extreme patience:tank:

There is only one way to find out. If they have been sealed, I would not sweat it and just transfer them as carefully as you can to not stir up any of the trub that has sat down there for so long.

I have primaried for over 2 months on purpose with a RIS and it is fantastic.

They're not going to go bad in the sense that they will spoil and be undrinkable. At the very worst you'll just get a strong yeasty taste in the beer.

I think you'll be fine. I had similar circumstances and a beer sat on a primary for 6 months. I thought it tasted great.

Hello, I have been slackin for a few months due to various reasons. So I'm bottling two batches today and both have been in the primary for a little over 2 months. One is a chocolate smoked porter the other is just an american light with honey added. I was wondering if these both will be ok? Like I said they have both been in the primary and I'm thinking they can go bad due to sitting on the yeast cake for too long. Im really hopping I'm wrong! Its funny, I couldnt keep a brew in the primary for more than 2 weeks and now they have been sitting for 2 months :( please someone tell me they will be better with my extreme patience:tank:

I am actually really glad you asked this, as I have been wondering the same thing myself.

I have seen posts that age helps beer and I have seen posts that say age hurts beer, as far as in both primary or secondary, which is really the same thing other than filtering out extra junk transferring to the secondary.

I would like to hear the opinions of others on this also. I was considering leaving a beer in the primary for 6 months plus, until I read somewhere anything more than a few weeks is bad.

So please, can some "Veteran" brewer help out?

what is the longest beer can be stored in either a primary or a secondary before being bottled?

What does the yeast life span have to play in the outcome?

Thanks, and thank you to the poster for the question.

I am actually really glad you asked this, as I have been wondering the same thing myself.

I have seen posts that age helps beer and I have seen posts that say age hurts beer, as far as in both primary or secondary, which is really the same thing other than filtering out extra junk transferring to the secondary.

I would like to hear the opinions of others on this also. I was considering leaving a beer in the primary for 6 months plus, until I read somewhere anything more than a few weeks is bad.

So please, can some "Veteran" brewer help out?

what is the longest beer can be stored in either a primary or a secondary before being bottled?

What does the yeast life span have to play in the outcome?

Thanks, and thank you to the poster for the question.

Yeah I was getting a little confused on this also! I have read alot on hear about people saying the longer the better. So I had just left them in there with no worries. And today browsing through threads I have seen people saying not to leave in too long. Then my worrying began! I'm very proud of my brew and share with alot of friends and family, I just really dont want to put out some bad stuff! Well maybe that would be a good thing so they stop asking for six packs. haha. Hopefully it turns out all good though! Ill update when I crack one!

I'm not a "veteran" but I can say that if proper sanitation techniques were taken and the beer has been sitting in a sealed container, I've heard it being just fine up to 6 months in a primary.

However there are a lot of factors here that are just unknown. As the yeast dies and the trub all falls out it is possible that it can start to breakdown and get really nasty. This is more so in the primary than the secondary because usually all the trub in the secondary is yeast and is most likely hibernating yeast. So a beer could stay even longer in a secondary.

The best bet, is to just start bottling and if it smells and tastes terrible there you may be done for. If it seems ok, it probably is.

One option moving forward, try to move the beer out of the primary after about 10 to 14 days. Its done doing its business and there is no need to keep it on for that long.

Well, I just bottled the Chocolate Porter and to be quite honest it actually tasted better that the previous one I did when I only fermented for 2 1/2 weeks. So one down and I think itll be just fine!

After the initial taste and smell test. Both brews tasted and smelt fantastic! I think I just may have to leave in the primary this long all the time. Even though the brew was not carbed and warm I could have had a few glasses it was that outstanding! So I guess the people on here who say to be very patient are right!

Back