How Long Till I Can Drink

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biggerthanyou83

Reaction score
OK I am new to the home brewing but I am already addicted to it. I just bottled my home brew of american pale ale and just placed my second brew of Irish stout to ferment. My Q's is how long should i wait to try the bottled beer? Looking at the one bottle it looks like its already getting carbinated but it has only been 3 days. Should i wait 1 week or 2 weeks? And i tried a litle bit of it while i was botteling it and it tasted good.... just flat. would the taste stay the same? Thank you for any help

The 3 weeks at 70 degrees, that we recommend is the minimum time it takes for average gravity beers to carbonate and condition. Higher grav beers take longer.

Stouts and porters have taken me between 6 and 8 weeks to carb up..I have a 1.090 Belgian strong that took three months to carb up.

Temp and gravity are the two factors that contribute to the time it takes to carb beer. But if a beer's not ready yet, or seems low carbed, and you added the right amount of sugar to it, then it's not stalled, it's just not time yet.

Everything you need to know about carbing and conditioning, can be found here Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning. With emphasis on the word, "patience." ;)

Mannnn it smelled soooo good botteling it. LOL. ok ill wait 3 weeks before i try the one bottle i had out. Thank You.

+1 to the religious one.

Patience is your friend. Right now, your beer would be undercarbed, unbalanced and will taste a little sweet from the priming sugar.

If you want to try one, wait at LEAST two weeks to try, but, like Revvy said, three weeks at minimum for best results. You will likely find that the best bottle of your batch will be the last one.

Welcome to the hobby, and welcome to the madness!!

3 weeks to be safe.

as a new brewer, chill and crack open one of the bottles once a week, starting a week after bottling. This will help refine your palate, and after time, you'll start learning what "green" beer tastes like, which will help with subsequent brews.

I would recommend you try one after a week, one after two weeks and then start drinking at three weeks. Yes your beer will change, almost always for the better. The beer is still green and the carbonation will change the mouthfeel and the way you perceive some of the characteristics of your beer. Now build your pipeline so you don't have to worry about when you can drink your own beer.:mug:

This is what I do...I can't help it... I have to try 1 every week to taste the development of the conditioning. When I first started brewing it was frustrating because at week one and sometimes week two, they don't taste very good. Like the good reverend says...3 weeks is about the key. For example, I just tried an Amber last night that was just about 2 weeks in the bottle (10 days actually)--HUGE difference in week 2. I can't wait until it's 3-4 weeks old. It's going to go fast so I should get started on my next batch!

Cheers,

Taco:D

3 weeks to be safe.

as a new brewer, chill and crack open one of the bottles once a week, starting a week after bottling. This will help refine your palate, and after time, you'll start learning what "green" beer tastes like, which will help with subsequent brews.

This +100%, sampling your beers every week is a good idea to see how it develops. You'll notice harsh flavors start to fade, and others come out, a beer at 1 week will taste quite different than one at 8 weeks.

This is the only reason when im bottling(keg now, but bottle some things), that i always make a 6 pack of 12's, and the rest are 22's. That way i can sample from the 12's without feeling like im 'wasting' a ton of 22oz bottles early in the process.

Back