How long can you age?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BENDJOSEPH

Reaction score
How long can you age before the beer starts to go bad? I have been brewing for camping trips this summer and I was wondering how long can I age the beer. I am brewing Cooper's Pislner with two pounds of lite malt.

If you mean age in the bottles, your beer will last for around a year. If you mean age in the fermenter, you don't want to let your wort sit on the yeast cake for too long, but 3-4 weeks won't do any major damage. If you have a secondary, you can leave it in there for well over a month.

A Pilsner, a year max. Barley wines may not be drinkable before a year. Hoppy ales 6-8 months.

I was thinking the same thing, because i want to start brewing some stouts for next winter. I have heard they take a while to hit their peak.

ddod33 said:
I was thinking the same thing, because i want to start brewing some stouts for next winter. I have heard they take a while to hit their peak.

Depends on the recipe. Imperial stouts can (and should) age a while, but smaller stouts (like a typical dry Irish stout) don't really need any more aging than any other kind of beer, as far as I can tell.

With that said, I've had some 9% Russian Imperial Stouts that were very good without a lot of aging, two weeks in the bottle IIRC (I'm talking about YOURS, Vermicious!)

Taking a lesson from the history of beer brewing, the higher the alcohol content, and the higher the hops (AA) content, the longer your beer will last. Both are natural preservatives (see IPA).

Back