Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How do you label your bottles?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2013, 09:24 PM   #1
OrdinaryAvgGuy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 180 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 105

Default How do you label your bottles?

I just finished soaking and scraping the labels off of 240 beer bottles which lead me to think about the way that I will organize and label my bottles.

I understand that some print labels on shipping stickers while others print out their labels and glue them to the bottle with milk or some sort of glue.

The question is: If my wife and I plan to be the sole consumers of my homebrew, should I even bother labeling them with a fancy label? I was contemplation placing a simple sticker on the cap such as the one pictured below on the brew that I plan to drink while creating fancy labels for those that I plan to give away.

What system do you use to keep track of your beer? Marking the cap seems to be the easiest way to avoid additional bottle cleaning. BTW, I plan to keep 5-6 different batches in circulation... if that helps.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 09:27 PM   #2
jwitt
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Dots are a good idea. I just use a sharpie on the cap and a 2-3 letter designation plus a number indicating the recipe version.

For wine I have a label with some designs I drew and cleaned up in photoshop...9 on a page, through a paper cutter, and glue-sticked onto bottles. Not everything in a 750 gets the treatment, but stuff I'm cellaring for a few years, 1) there's a lot of bottles down there and 2) it makes a nice presentation. Plus, glue stick on copy paper is durable but soaks off very easily. Really it's as much a fun craft project as anything. I enjoy doing it, but wouldn't label a batch of beer unless it was something very special for gifts...in bombers or 1 liter flip tops.

Recent brews: Amber ale w/ honey malt, Dunkelweizen, Oktoberfest, Alt, Kölsch, English Brown, Rye IPA, Amarillo IPA. 55 gallons so far in 2013.

Old 01-09-2013, 09:30 PM   #3
Varmintman
Recipes 

Liked 653 Times on 409 Posts
Likes Given: 820

I take a magic marker and before I sanitize the caps I mark them with a two letter code like MD For Moose Drool and 3c for Cream of three crops. I also keep a log of all the beer I brew and write the code in the book as well

One thing that really helped me was to put the date on a piece of paper in the case of beer when I bottle it. Having 5 or 6 batches in bottles makes it kind of hard to remember what is ready to drink

Old 01-09-2013, 09:38 PM   #4
Varmintman
Recipes 

Liked 653 Times on 409 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Oh heck I just looked at your user name and weirdly was listening to Joe Walsh and that song

Old 01-09-2013, 09:39 PM   #5
reverendj1
Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Personally, I create labels for all my beers and stick them on with milk. I also enjoy making them and putting them on, but I realize it's not for everyone. Sticker dots and/or Sharpies is an easy way to do it that I've seen often though. Apparently my friend who brews doesn't even delabel! He just washes them out and Sharpies the caps.

Old 01-09-2013, 09:39 PM   #6
DrummerBoySeth
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Your "dots" will probably work great. I have found labels to be very valuable for the "give-away" bottlres. It helps avoid all those "what kind is it?" questions.

"Give a man a beer, and he will waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and he will waste a lifetime!" Bill Owen

Old 01-09-2013, 09:40 PM   #7
OrdinaryAvgGuy
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varmintman View Post
I take a magic marker and before I sanitize the caps I mark them with a two letter code like MD For Moose Drool and 3c for Cream of three crops. I also keep a log of all the beer I brew and write the code in the book as well

One thing that really helped me was to put the date on a piece of paper in the case of beer when I bottle it. Having 5 or 6 batches in bottles makes it kind of hard to remember what is ready to drink
Sounds like solid advice. A beer log sounds like a great idea. This would also be a good place to comment on how each batch turned out. It will be my man diary

Old 01-09-2013, 09:45 PM   #8
OrdinaryAvgGuy
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverendj1 View Post
Personally, I create labels for all my beers and stick them on with milk. I also enjoy making them and putting them on, but I realize it's not for everyone. Sticker dots and/or Sharpies is an easy way to do it that I've seen often though. Apparently my friend who brews doesn't even delabel! He just washes them out and Sharpies the caps.
I also look forward to creating labels and labeling. I just don't want to spend the money/ effort on the labeling process only to turn around and have to soak the labels off once again.

Perhaps I will label the first 12 for giveaways and simply mark the caps of all others in the batch. Okay, maybe just 6....

Old 01-09-2013, 09:47 PM   #9
OrdinaryAvgGuy
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varmintman View Post
Oh heck I just looked at your user name and weirdly was listening to Joe Walsh and that song
Great song. Most likely describes the majority of folks on this forum including myself.

Old 01-09-2013, 09:49 PM   #10
Tinhorn
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I just sharpie a letter or code on the caps after they are bottled also. So far so good although 4's can look like H etc so some thought before you go hog wild on 50 bottles.

Quick Reply