New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How cold do you set your chest freeze?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2013, 08:46 PM   #1
Kaz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default How cold do you set your chest freeze?

This is NOT a freezer being used for storing or brewing beer. I have a 9 cubic foot freezer in our garage that I store some of my hops in along with our stash of frozen meats etc. Right now, the garage is a toasty 92F and the freezer has gone up to about 5F. It's usually around -10F. Do you normally just set a garage freezer to as cold as it can go so as to hold the temp during hot spells, or just let it warm up a little. Sorry if its a stupid question, but I've never kept a freezer in the garage.

Draft 1: Lightly smoked Weizen
Draft 2: Belgian Wit
Draft 3: Rauchbier

Primary 1: German Scwarzbier
Primary 2:

On Deck: Belgian Brown Ale, Pale Ale, Stout

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2013, 08:53 PM   #2
BigFloyd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 567 Times on 500 Posts
Likes Given: 501

Unfortunately, setting it lower won't help the compressor keep up with the temperature differential. You were pretty cold at a -10*F setting. We had a garage chest freezer for years (it's now my keezer ) and we faced the same issue.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply