How to bottle prime when FG is higher than expected

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

supermoth

Reaction score
I have a beer that finished higher than I expected, at about 1.02 instead of 1.012. It was in primary for 3 weeks at 64 degrees (WLP001), and has been sitting on dry hops for the last week. Unfortunately, I didn't pull a gravity sample until I was already racking to the secondary.

I'm worried to bottle prime at a normal rate since I think it might rouse the yeast and overcarbonate the beer (it's happened to me once before). Would it make sense to bottle prime using less sugar, or would this not work at all? Should I try to repitch yeast?

I think if your gravity holds for a few days, you should be fine to prime. I would would just prime as instructed or use a priming calculator for your style of beer. 1.020 is fine, no bottle bomb worries at this point.

smalltownbrewer said:
I think if your gravity holds for a few days, you should be fine to prime. I would would just prime as instructed or use a priming calculator for your style of beer. 1.020 is fine, no bottle bomb worries at this point.

Agreed.

Latest posts

Back