Hot Steeping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MN_Jay

Reaction score
I'm about to try my second batch (first one being a canned extract, currently in the secondary) and want to try steeping specialty grains. The whole process seems simple enough, the only question I seem to have is the amount of time to steep the grains. Most directions say things like 15-30 minutes at 160 F. Well, that's quite a variation in time. Is it 15 or 30? Is either one any better than the other? My gut feeling is, like tea, the longer you soak it, the stronger it gets - but why not just say to steep for 30 minutes? :confused:

it doesn't matter as 'steeping' grains is just for color and a hint of flavor. more important is that you keep the temperature from exceeding 160F.

your gut is right...the longer you steep the more color you'll extract.

if you were 'mashing' the grain...that's a whole different process where temperature is even more critical, as is the time it sits.

Generally what I do is add the grains to cold water, bring them to between 150-160 and then hold it there for 30min. It is the most common instruction I have seen for steeping grains in most recipes.

Back