Home Brewing Kits recommendations (beg)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerBrooklyn

Reaction score
Hi, I my husband really loves beer and has made several comments over the last year about how he would love to start brewing.. well for Christmas I would like to get him a brew kits.. I know their are some really fancy ones out there but I'd like to get him something in the 100-300 dollar range to make sure he actually gets into it and is able to figure out how to do it before buying him something more elaborate... theres a lot of options online so I'm hoping for some recommendations. All I know thus far is he as no interest in the "Mr. Beer" kits.

Thanks for your help, Cheers! :mug:

Also, if you don't have at least a four gallon stock pot, I would suggest purchasing him a turkey fryer if you can swing it. My wife prefers my brewing outdoors and away from any potential mess in the kitchen.

Don't forget a book or two. Palmer's How to Brew is a good one that's recommended highly on this forum. And Charlie Papazian's homebrew guides. You can find either online or Barnes&Noble, Amazon.

Checkout the kits at Midwest Supplies . If you give them a call they are really helpful. I started with their beginner kit with a carboy and a recipe. The recipe was easy to follow and turned out great. It was a wonderful start to the hobby and I've kept it up!

I also recommend getting him a book. I think that Palmer's "How to Brew" is the best beginner book out there. I keep turning back to it for tips and tricks.

This is actually the kit I bought. Worked out great!

How far are you from Fullerton? A Google search showed something like three or four brewing supply shops there. I would suggest going to each, telling them what you want to do and have them put together an itemized list for you. Make sure you tell them you want quality equipment, but nothing superfluous... Come back here and let us know the options they give you. Sometimes a local shop will knock a few bucks off a big startup like that if they think they are going to get a good, loyal customer out of it.

How far are you from Fullerton? A Google search showed something like three or four brewing supply shops there. I would suggest going to each, telling them what you want to do and have them put together an itemized list for you. Make sure you tell them you want quality equipment, but nothing superfluous... Come back here and let us know the options they give you. Sometimes a local shop will knock a few bucks off a big startup like that if they think they are going to get a good, loyal customer out of it.

Thanks, I'm actually only about 45 min from Fullerton .. I'll look into that!

What about Glass vs Better Bottles? I keep seeing the option to upgrade .. is it worth it?

From what I've read, the plastic bottles are more susceptible to scratching during cleaning, and the scratches will make a nice place for bacteria to form. Not sure if it's really true or not since everything will be sanitized, but I didn't want to take any chances.

I started brewing this summer with a basic kit from midwest. Here is my advice.

Get a basic kit! The upgrades generally include carboys which i view to be a waste of money for the beginner brewer I got a 6.5 gallon glass carboy off of craigslist and it sits empty because i prefer to use a bucket fermentor. They are MUCH MUCH easier to handle and clear. Carrying a full glass carboy is hard and cleaning is a pain in the but. People will use the 5 gallon carboy to secondary ferment but that is something you will never have to do as a beginner. Just leave your beer is the primary for a month and it is just as good. The secondary just adds more steps and a bigger risk of infection. I think the stores try to push it because it makes you buy more stuff.

I think you are better off spending the money that would go to carboys on a propane burner, a brew kettle, and a wort chiller.

Here is my simple recommendation.
Basic kits (includes auto-siphon) - Austin Homebrew Supply
Star san (no home brewer should eb without) - Austin Homebrew Supply
Propane burner + pot - Bass Pro Shops® 30-Quart Propane Turkey Fryer | Bass Pro Shops
Wort Chiller (can upgrade to a 50' one if you like) - Amazon.com: Copper Coil Immersion Chiller 25 Feet Length: Everything Else

That is $170 (+ shipping). Then you can buy another plastic bucket fermentor as well. Add in some bottles if you like (or better yet just save them from the beer you drink and collect them at holiday parties) and an ingredient kit and you will be set!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well pilgrim... I gotta say that I am VERY happy with my Coopers DIY Kit. It comes with everything to brew your first batch except the cleaning/sanitation agents.. Oxyclean and StarSan. The newly designed fermenter is great.. I would have bought it just for that. The PET bottles have a nylon liner in them so there is little chance of transfer of gasses to oxidize the brew once bottled. The malt extract kit that comes with it will make beer.. but with the addition of a bit more dry malt extract and some Saaz hops as a dry hop.. it'll make a very nice beer.. It's a "lager" using an ale yeast. The ONLY downside I've found is that the bottles are 750ml.. think wine bottle. So, unless you are drinking with a friend.. or like to put 'em down'.. that may or may not be great. I've collected about 100 12 oz glass bottles and have about that many 22 oz from way back when I attempted brewing in the 60's and 90's.

You can find the DIY on Amazon for $99 w/ free shipping. If you have any questions.. you can PM me..

OBTW, if you use this kit, I can't see a reason initially for having to buy glass or Better Bottles. I have them and they just sit in my garage waiting for ??? They are more difficult to clean than the DIY brewing vessel.. heck, you can almost get your whole body into that thing for cleaning. I just use Oxyclean and a microfiber cloth to clean it.. followed by sanitation with StarSan using a different microfiber cloth..

No, I don't own stock in the company.. but, I'm a pretty happy user...

I find washing my glass carboys in the bathtub makes it really easy. I have always used glass, and they make handles that make them easy to carry now. I have 2 6.5's and a 5. Never have had any issues at all.
I think it is just more of a personal preference, and what works best in your brewing environment.

I'm thinking about going with http://http://www.midwestsupplies.com/everything-a-carboy-complete-brewing-package-equipment-kit-2.html this kit any opinions or suggestions for upgrades? I might actually be willing to splurge a little and get http://http://www.midwestsupplies.com/master-brewers-kit-with-kegging-setup.html this one but again I just want to make sure that its not missing something essential and if it is I want to be sure what so I can order it as well so that my husband has everything he needs to get started the second he unwraps his gift :rockin:

I'm thinking about going with http://http://www.midwestsupplies.com/everything-a-carboy-complete-brewing-package-equipment-kit-2.html this kit any opinions or suggestions for upgrades? I might actually be willing to splurge a little and get http://http://www.midwestsupplies.com/master-brewers-kit-with-kegging-setup.html this one but again I just want to make sure that its not missing something essential and if it is I want to be sure what so I can order it as well so that my husband has everything he needs to get started the second he unwraps his gift :rockin:

He is a lucky man!

If you are in corona you are probably closer to morebeer in riverside than fullerton. it is right off the 215 and columbia 1st exit north of the 60. you can check there stuff online and just go to the shop to buy it, you will save on shipping and those guys in the shop are really helpful. They do brew days twice a month in front of the shop so maybe you can take him in to watch the brewday and have his present wrapped inside waiting for him, That would rock!

I started with the Northern Brewer kit that was posted in the first reply to your OP. It's a fine kit. You should add an autosiphon if you go that route. I like the two midwest kits you linked to (you need to fix your links to remove the extra http at the beginning) a bit better though, especially the first one. It has pretty much everything, including a beer ingredient kit and some bottles. You'll need more bottles, but the easiest and cheapest way to get those is to save the ones from store bought beer.

The reason I Iike the first kit over the second one with the kegging setup is that bottling is actually fun, at least until you're producing a large quantity of beer on a regular basis. You get to learn about natural carbonation (something you can do with kegs, but most people don't). There is just something truly satisfying about stacking up cases of homebrew.

There are a few other reasons. The kegging setup costs a lot more money. You have to consider whether it is wise to spend that much before you know if he is really going to get serious about brewing. Kegging also adds considerably to the initial complexity of the hobby. There is already so much to learn about brewing without having to deal with kegging. Another thing is that you have to have refrigerator capacity for kegging. Usually this means buying a dedicated mini-refrigerator, full size refrigerator, or chest freezer, to be converted to use as a kegerator. There are several ways you can go when building a kegging setup, and it might be better to let him figure out his preferences before committing to it.

There are also a number of other things most brewers would consider more important than a kegging system when first starting out. Having a brew pot large enough to do either extract brews (maybe 20 quart capacity) or full boils (40 quarts) for a 5 gallon batch is essential. The first kit comes with a 20 quart pot, which is perfect for extract brewing. The minimum entry for full boils is a turkey fryer burner or banjo burner or similar type LP gas burner and stand and a 40 quart pot for outdoor use. That can be acquired later on, and the 20 quart pot that comes with the kit will still be useful around the house.

A copper immersion wort chiller would also likely top most people's list of essential gear before a kegging setup.

Just my .02, if you were willing to spend what the kegging kit would cost, I'd suggest buying the other less expensive bottling kit, add an immersion wort chiller, and put the remainder in a gift certificate that he can use to buy a couple of additional extract brew kits of his choice. That would be a nice gift, in my opinion.

By the way, there are different types of immersion wort chillers. Some are intended to hook up to a kitchen sink, some have garden hose fittings. Be sure to get the appropriate type. If he'll be brewing extract kits in the kitchen, which is what most people do to start, then the type that hooks up to the kitchen sink faucet would be better.

You are an awesome wife, but do you know what you're getting yourself into? :D

The things I can really recommend are a propane burner, and an 8-10 gallon kettle. I got booted outside after 3 batches. The smaller kettles are great for stovetop extract brews, but it sucks buying equipment twice. An efficient chiller will make the brew day much more pleasant.

Also, I have to agree with the previous endorsement of Palmer's "How to Brew." That and links to HBT. Reading early on solves a lot of problems. If he stays interested, there are a lot of books that you can get him in the future.

Brooklyn for true starters, 1-gallon batches, just about everything you need included, and relatively cheap:

Brooklyn Brew Shop

Great for starting, not so heart-breaking if 10 beers don't come out instead of 50, and you can easily experiment. Then again, if you get a great brew, you only have a handful to share. Great customer service too, though sometimes takes a while

Is your husband good at following written instruction? Does he have an interest in cooking and the ability to keep a pot at a specific temperature? Are you willing to help with the process? Those items will make any of the equipment kits work. Missing one of them may not be a disaster but brewing does have a set of requirements that must be followed to make good beer.

There's a lot of good advice in this thread, but let me caution you not to go off the deep end on equipment right off the bat. You don't need a 40 quart pot and a turkey fryer burner to start with. You don't need a kegging setup to start with. Brewing beer is not for everyone. Some people try it a few times, and lose interest, either because of failures (which means they probably didn't consult the HBT community or read Palmer's book), or because they just don't find it rewarding enough for the effort involved. It's not hard to brew beer, but it does take a little more thought, planning, effort, precision, and attention to detail than mixing up a batch of Betty Crocker brownies or Kraft Macaroni and Cheese.

I know several people in real life who only make extract brews in a 20 quart pot on the stove in their kitchen and who bottle their beer. A couple of them have been at it that way for the five years I've known them. They have no desire to expand beyond that, or else their living situation won't accommodate it (e.g., apartment dweller with no outdoor space). They are happy brewing reduced volume extract beer kits on their stoves, and they make good beer. There are plenty of people like that on this forum too.

That Midwest EVERYTHING + A CARBOY - Complete Brewing Equipment Kit #2 that you linked to before is a very full-featured beginners kit, without going crazy. Add to that a copper (not stainless steel) immersion wort chiller and a bottle of Iodophor or Star San sanitizer concentrate, and he'll have everything he needs. That Equipment Upgrade Kit Two has the right type of chiller for hooking up to a kitchen sink, plus John Palmer's book, plus a couple of other non-essential but nice to have doodads.

If your husband is the type that takes to hobbies with gusto and thoroughly immerses himself in them, then it is likely he would rather study and plan his future upgrades himself. If he's not, then it may not be a good idea to spend too much up front. Those are two more reasons for not stepping off the deep end for an initial brewing setup gift.

By the way, if you go with that Midwest kit, you have to pick a recipe kit to go along with it. If your husband likes stouts, I'd choose the Irish Stout kit. It'll be a more forgiving first brew than the other two choices. Some people would be disappointed if they ended up with a less than totally clear beer in a style that demands it. Clarity is not an issue for a stout.

If you are in corona you are probably closer to morebeer in riverside than fullerton. it is right off the 215 and columbia 1st exit north of the 60. you can check there stuff online and just go to the shop to buy it, you will save on shipping and those guys in the shop are really helpful. They do brew days twice a month in front of the shop so maybe you can take him in to watch the brewday and have his present wrapped inside waiting for him, That would rock!

I am in Corona and thats an awesome idea! Good to know about the brewdays I heard him talking about wanting to find somewhere that does that -thanks!

i think it is every other saturday. And if you not opposed to drinking at ten am they normally have samples of the prior brew days beers in the back. They do get packed on those brewdays though so it is hard to ask questions regarding the retail items in the store. During the week however they will sit with you as long as necessary to answer any questions you may have.

There is also heffernans home brew in upland, very small but is a wine and cigar bar so they are open a little later in the evening for emergency purchases and vanguard in la verne who is new but has a great supply of ingredients. beer beer and more beer is by far the one stop shop for all your needs though. Good luck, and be sure to send him to the forums as well. great insight at all hours of the day and night,,lol

Latest posts

Back