Herpedy-Derpedy, I wonder what this yeast starter tastes like...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cranapple

Reaction score
I made my first yeast starter last week for a maibock I brewed on Sunday.

After I pitched there was about 1/4 teaspoon of sludge left on the bottom of the growler I made the starter in. It smelled like sulfur, but I said "Hmm... I wonder what this tastes like."

It wasn't bad, but all of a sud...

HOMEBREW_FARTS.jpg

You were very lucky you didn't have more.
When I was a teenager, I joined a gym. Of course, I didn't know it at the time, but in my country there's a tradition in gyms, to prank the newbie.
So, one day, 2 very big guys were talking (near me, of course) about the benefits of drinking a cup of dry baker's yeast dissolved in water every day.
So, that same day, I went and bought several packets of dry yeast, went home, and prepared myself a glass of the "miracle brew".

To make a long story short, from the moment I drank it (it tasted horrible), I had a full week of the worst explosive diarrhea I have ever had. Needles to say, I've never followed their advise again...

When I was a teenager, I joined a gym. Of course, I didn't know it at the time, but in my country there's a tradition in gyms, to prank the newbie.
So, one day, 2 very big guys were talking (near me, of course) about the benefits of drinking a cup of dry baker's yeast dissolved in water every day.
So, that same day, I went and bought several packets of dry yeast, went home, and prepared myself a glass of the "miracle brew".

To make a long story short, from the moment I drank it (it tasted horrible), I had a full week of the worst explosive diarrhea I have ever had. Needles to say, I've never followed their advise again...

You could have paid them back by having the explosive diarrhea in their gym locker.

You should use a blow-off tube next time. I'd suggest an airlock but that could get messy real fast.

Back