Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Help me decide which Stockpot to get Plz

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2012, 10:53 PM   #1
MrRoboto
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default Help me decide which Stockpot to get Plz

I just ordered a really nice $300 homebrew starter kit from AHS but I dont have a stockpot yet. Since Im just getting started I dont want to spend that much on one yet, but I also dont want to buy a piece of junk so please help me decide between these two..

First is a bayou classic 24 qt found here.
http://www.bayouclassicoutlet.com/10...-lid-1024.html

Second is one on amazon 20 qt commercial grade with 3 ply bottom
http://www.amazon.com/Professional-C...words=stockpot

Or if anyone knows where to get a better pot than the mentioned for the same price let me know.. Thank You

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2012, 10:57 PM   #2
menerdari
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I paid $38 for my brewers best 20 quart SS at my LHBS
OK for the partial boils I have been doing.

Old 10-03-2012, 11:01 PM   #3
HerbieHowells
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Assuming you have a heat source capable of heating five gallons of water, go with the 24 quart pot. A nice boil has a way of boiling over quickly, especially if you have just added extract, and you do not want to have to clean up that mess. A bigger pot will let you do full boils with a little room to spare.

A few weeks ago, I was at a Wal-Mart with a grocery department, and I saw large stock pots near the Mexican food aisle for sale, presumably for steaming tamales. They were at least six gallons, and being sold for $25. It probably wouldn't be as nice as the other pots, but it might be worth a trip to Wal Mart.

Old 10-03-2012, 11:12 PM   #4
MrRoboto
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbieHowells View Post
Assuming you have a heat source capable of heating five gallons of water, go with the 24 quart pot. A nice boil has a way of boiling over quickly, especially if you have just added extract, and you do not want to have to clean up that mess. A bigger pot will let you do full boils with a little room to spare.

A few weeks ago, I was at a Wal-Mart with a grocery department, and I saw large stock pots near the Mexican food aisle for sale, presumably for steaming tamales. They were at least six gallons, and being sold for $25. It probably wouldn't be as nice as the other pots, but it might be worth a trip to Wal Mart.

I have a Natural Gas stove top is that enough to boil 5 gallons? And unfortunately I dont have a Wal Mart near me like that no super wal marts in driving distance just regular stores and they have porcelain coated steel pots..

Old 10-04-2012, 03:07 AM   #5
MrRoboto
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Well after calculating shipping on these cheaper pots and realizing I can get a better pot for $15-$20 more I decided to go with a megapot 8 gallon. Should give me plenty of room, durable and work better than the pots mentioned earlier and I can add a ball valve and thermometer later if I want..

I just wish I would have realized this when I placed my order earlier with AHS, it would have been included in the 4.99 shipping so I will have to pay it again. Oh well.. Thx for the help, I think I will be happier with this pot.

Old 10-04-2012, 03:13 AM   #6
Brulosopher
Recipes 

Liked 199 Times on 165 Posts
Likes Given: 114

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto
Well after calculating shipping on these cheaper pots and realizing I can get a better pot for $15-$20 more I decided to go with a megapot 8 gallon. Should give me plenty of room, durable and work better than the pots mentioned earlier and I can add a ball valve and thermometer later if I want..

I just wish I would have realized this when I placed my order earlier with AHS, it would have been included in the 4.99 shipping so I will have to pay it again. Oh well.. Thx for the help, I think I will be happier with this pot.
Good call.
MrRoboto Likes This 

Quick Reply