Help With changing grain types in my first AG brew.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mongzilla

Reaction score
I have found the following “Belgian Brothers Golden Strong Ale” recipe for my first AG brew and need some help with ingredients, as I live in the U.K. and cannot sources the following grains.

Link to recipe: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f73/belgian-brother-golden-strong-250255/

I was thinking of swapping:

“Rahr Pale 2 Row” for Weyermann Premier Pilsner Malt.
“Casile Pilsner” for Weyermann Caraaelge.
“White Wheat Malt” for Thomas Fawlett, Pale Wheat Malt.

Am I looking at the right grains, or am I completely off the mark?

Can post the link to my supplier (U.K.) if it helps and is o.k. by the mods.

Any help would be grate, need more info pleases post.

Dave.

Typicallhy, I don't think two row is used in a beer like this. Stick with the castle pilsner, and the white wheat is fine.

I brewed this last summer. Make sure to do a 90 minute rolling boil to reduce DMS.

I just kegged a batch of that brew.

The "Rahr Pale 2 Row" -- that's just a brand name specified for a pale regular 2-row barley. I don't know if the names are different in the UK but you are looking for just pale malted barley, not pilsner for that 7 pounds. We specify 2-row because 6-row barley is also available, but is different.

"Castle Pilsner" - just a brand name for a pilsner malt. Probably any pilsner malt, like the weyermann, would do fine for that 5 pounds.

white wheat and pale wheat are probably close enough, if not the same.

Typicallhy, I don't think two row is used in a beer like this. Stick with the castle pilsner,

So, the question there is, do you want to stick with the recipe, or do you want to make a new recipe that is straight pilsner malt?

I assumed he wanted to be close to the recipe.

Thank you all for the help.

So Weyermann Caraaelge and Thomas Fawlett, Pale Wheat Malt, look ok. I have found a standard pale ale malt to uses for the Rahr. So it looks like I am good to go.

So, the question there is, do you want to stick with the recipe, or do you want to make a new recipe that is straight pilsner malt?

I assumed he wanted to be close to the recipe.

I did but after your post I do not know, would this grain bill make a drinkable ale? If so my have a go with it as it is.

The Carabelge is a crystal malt. You certainly don't want 5 lbs of that. I'd replace it with 5 lb of Pilsner.
I also wouldn't replace Rahr 2 row with and English pale malt. The Weyermann Pilsner malt would be much closer.

-a.

The Carabelge is a crystal malt. You certainly don't want 5 lbs of that. I'd replace it with 5 lb of Pilsner.
I also wouldn't replace Rahr 2 row with and English pale malt. The Weyermann Pilsner malt would be much closer.
-a.

Thanks Ajf.

So any 5 lb of Pilsner would do to replaces the Carabelge. Would Weyermann® Bohemian Pilsner Malt be ok?

So the Weyermann Pilsner malt from my original post would be ok.

I take it the crystal malt would push the original gravity though the roof and/or mess the taste up.

Thanks ones more.

So any 5 lb of Pilsner would do to replaces the Carabelge. Would Weyermann® Bohemian Pilsner Malt be ok?
Yes, replace the original 7 lbs Rahr 2 row and 5 lbs Castle Pilsner with 12 lbs Weyermann Bohemian Pilsner.

So the Weyermann Pilsner malt from my original post would be ok.
Absolutely that would be fine.

I take it the crystal malt would push the original gravity though the roof and/or mess the taste up.
The crystal malt would darken the colour considerably, add a lot of sweetness and body.
You would end up with a beer with a similar colour to an English bitter, and it would be cloyingly sweet.

-a.

A quick update about this beer.

From the help from you all, I have brewed a version of the beer above with the following grain bill.

12 lbs Weyermann Bohemian Pilsner.
1 pound Pale Wheat Malt

I brew the beer with while labs Trappist ale yeast (I cannot remember which one, but if anyone would like to know sent me a message) that I made about 1 L starter for.

Fermented the beer in primary, with no airlock, for around 10 days (as temperature of around 70 to 76°F) and racked to secondary under airlock for approximately 3 to 4 weeks.

I finally plucked up the courage to take a final gravity reading today and hit the final gravity of 1.010. The beer is a bit cloudier than I would like, but I had a poor cold break and the yeast doesn't really want to settle out just yet.

However I got to taste it for the first time since I'd put it into secondary. It taste good, but really needs carbonation to bring it out. I am not very good at describing beer and will not try to, but I only think this beer can get better in the bottle.

Thank you very much for your help with this beer, and I will post back when it is bottle conditioned to let you know how it went from there. If anyone is considering trying this version of this beer I would definitely have a go, but I wish I could have kept my fermentation a bit pn the cooler side.

Again thanks for your help.

Back