hefeweizen fermentation temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just had a question regarding what temp is best for hefe's?
I made a batch which was fermented at 65-68 deg f. My brew turned out more fruity than a classic hefe.

I have two Hefe Weizens currently fermenting, one a simple traditional and one a Citra Weizen. I have done a lot of reading about Hefe's and how to get the authentic taste and mouthfeel...most have recommended a lower fermentation temp of 62-63 degrees. The lower temp lessens the fruity/banana flavors and brings out the traditional clove flavors.

I would also add that all the reading says that yeast choice also has a major impact on the result of a Hefe.

I went with a week at 60 F and then when the fermentation slowed I let it sit at 63 for another week. I tasted it as I put it in the bottles and it had a nice hint of banana and clove and nothing over powering. I also used white labs 300 liquid yeast.

The internet says:

"Underpitch the yeast and ferment warm to get Banana

Overpitch the yeast and ferment cold to get Clove"

I did an experiment with two half batches, pitching 2 cups of 3068 starter into one at 72F kept in the heated bathroom and 4 cups of the same starter into the other at 65F, kept in the cool basement. Not the best temperature control, but I can't really say I noticed a marked difference.

I've found that I prefer hefeweizen fermented on the cooler side. My last one used WLP380 at 64 degrees and I was really pleased. I'd suggest keeping notes on what you did and what you thought of the outcome. At some point, brew another hefe, try something different, and keep notes on that. Eventually you'll figure out what your preference is.

Back