Having Trouble Hitting Temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buildingmotive

Reaction score
Okay, I'm new to brewing and have done four all grain brews in about a month and a half (go big or go home, right?)

I'm using a half barrel keg with an internal 5500W element for a HLT. I have a welded coupling with a screw in thermometer about 4" above the element. I'm mashing in a 10 gallon cooler.

So far, every time I heat my strike water up to my calculated strike temp, let it sit for 20 minutes or so to equalize, and fill my mash tun I hit about 10 degrees low. I swapped out thermometers and calibrated the new one at boiling and freezing, and still got the same results.

My first batch mashed at about 145 for 15 minutes until I got my temp up.

My last three mashes I've played a game of tag between very hot water and the garden hose trying to get my strike temp.

Has anyone had similar problems? Am I missing something obvious?

By the way, that first beer that had a low temp was still delicious, probably because it was mine :D

If your mash tun is not preheated, it will absorb a lot of the strike heat and your resulting temp will drop. Two options: preheat the tun with hot tap water while the strike water is coming up to temp, or overheat your strike water to compensate for the drop.

I used to fill my mash tun about half full with hot tap water and then rock it occasionally to pre-heat. This worked fine but I always had several gallons of water to disgard after. Through trial and error I found that if I heated my strike water to about 8 degrees higher than the calculator suggested, my mash was right on temp. Though 8 degrees works for my set up, you may have to experiment with yours.

Sounds to me like the answer to your question is contained in your question: your mash tun and grains absorb enough heat to drop your temp by 10º. I suggest that you take your target mash temp, add 10, and make that your strike water temp.

BTW, you're doing way better than me. I haven't been able to figure out my "regular" temperature drop - I think it's because I brew outdoors and the ambient air temperature has been all over the map.

Are you insulating your keggle after you get the water up to strike temp? An uninsulated SS keggle can shed heat pretty quickly.

Are you stirring the strike water to eliminate hot/cool spots? With the probe near the element, you can get some readings that don't reflect the temp throughout the water.

What is you average calculated strike temp?

What's your typical strike water volume?

It's not insulated, but I usually fill to 13 gallons so the water seems to hold heat pretty well. I don't really see a lot of temp drop on the dial.

I haven't tried stirring. The keg still has the sankey top so I'll have to use a long, skinny spoon.

My average calculated strike temp is around 163-167 for a mash temp of 152 or so of anywhere from 2.5-5 gallons.

I think stirring might help a lot. If I let a few gallons run out on the ground before I fill the cooler it seems to help get a higher temp. I may just sit out there and do it over and over and maybe get some sort of calibration.

It's not insulated, but I usually fill to 13 gallons so the water seems to hold heat pretty well. I don't really see a lot of temp drop on the dial.

I haven't tried stirring. The keg still has the sankey top so I'll have to use a long, skinny spoon.

My average calculated strike temp is around 163-167 for a mash temp of 152 or so of anywhere from 2.5-5 gallons.

I think stirring might help a lot. If I let a few gallons run out on the ground before I fill the cooler it seems to help get a higher temp. I may just sit out there and do it over and over and maybe get some sort of calibration.

Oh, I see now. You're using the Sanke keg as a hot liquor tank and mashing in a cooler. I thought from your first post that you were mashing in the keggle. Definitely pre-heat the cooler with some 190-200*F water for 10 min (then dump it) before adding the strike water. For a typical 5 gallon double batch sparge, your looking at around 3.5 gallons in the neighborhood of 168*F for a 153*F mash.

I'd suggest that you cut the top off that keg. It will be much easier to use. Do any of your buddies have a plasma cutter (easiest way)? If not , an angle grinder will do it. You'll probably burn through a few wheels.

I've noticed that the water under the element doesn't heat unless its boiling. I brought some water to 190 using my element and then opened the valve and the first 1/2 gallon was pretty cool to the touch.

I would skip the 20 minute stabilizing step and try stirring while you heat the water. I use a pump to recerc for the last few degrees as I heat the strike water.

I'd suggest that you cut the top off that keg. It will be much easier to use. Do any of your buddies have a plasma cutter (easiest way)? If not , an angle grinder will do it. You'll probably burn through a few wheels.

I can't cut the top off. I use it as a boiler for direct steam injection heating for cereal mashes. My fitting clamps to the top.

Sudstud said:
I've noticed that the water under the element doesn't heat unless its boiling. I brought some water to 190 using my element and then opened the valve and the first 1/2 gallon was pretty cool to the touch.

I would skip the 20 minute stabilizing step and try stirring while you heat the water. I use a pump to recerc for the last few degrees as I heat the strike water.

I didn't think about the water under the element not heating but that makes sense. That might be why I have to run a gallon or so out before I get the temp I need. I could probably use a piece of PVC or something to stir it as long as I don't touch the element.

I would skip the 20 minute stabilizing step and try stirring while you heat the water.

Worked like a charm. Heated to temp, and then stirred. Temp dropped about 4 degrees for 13 gallons after I stirred. Once I reheated and had a stable temp I pulled off a three step roggenbier mash hitting protein, beta, and alpha rests perfectly.

Looks like it's game on with no fear!

Thanks a lot for all the help everyone.

Back