Had to Re-Pitch: off flavors in finished beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kramer

Reaction score
This is my first ever batch....it's a Belgian Pale Ale. I'm using a saisson liquid yeast.

So, I wasn't paying attention, and dumped my liquid yeast into my wort which was still about 130-140 degrees:mad: Well, I am sure this killed the yeast, so I bought another vial of yeast, and re-pitched. It's now bubbling constantly (been just 1 day). My question is- since I've heard that dead yeast cells end up rupturing and creating off-flavors......will the fact that I killed the original batch of yeast screw up my brew? :confused:

Thanks!

When you crack that first bottle, the last thing you should be doing is worrying about those yeast you fried.

Small mistake. You re-pitched fast. It'll be fine, or else maybe it'll be great. Congrats on the batch and when they're ready, RDWHAHB

You cant expect to fry yeast in your batch and not have off flavors. Sorry. Yeast health is a huge (biggest?) factor in making good beer. Im sure your brew will be good but I doubt it will come out unscathed from your mistake..

My speculation would be that it would have a negligible effect on 5g of wort. It was only a vial of yeast vs starter or whole yeast cake where there would have been substantially more dead yeast contributing to off flavors.

You made yeast food for the second batch you pitched, it should be fantastic beer!

this is more than likely your scenario, than whatever the heck TOdd said. You fed the yeast that will be fermenting your beer with what we call yeast hulls. Yeast are caniibals, they will eat the dead yeast which will help their appetites to eat the wort.

It's not too different from us dumping bread yeast or other dry yeast into the kettle during a brew, or when making a starter to help feed the yeast.

And furthermore the whole "dead yeast cells end up rupturing and creating off-flavors" that you're worried about is really over blown, and doesn't really apply in this situation.

You have typical new brewer's incessent worrying. Just walk away from your beer. It is stronger than you (or Todd) might think it is.

Bam. Revvy with the tough reverend love.

But he's right, the only thing this mistake costs you is a few bucks worth of yeast.

i dont think 130-140 would kill the yeast by the way.

culturing cells and bacteria for a job has shown me that these things are tougher than made out to be.

i mean, ive dumped wort about this temp onto yeast cakes and the result was great.

Back