Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > gushing bottles

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2008, 03:25 AM   #1
yezzo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default gushing bottles

I know this has been posted before and it's usually over carbed, too much priming sugar etc.

I made a brown ale a while back and it turned out great, the carbonation was good, flavor good, just all good. But after about 4 months in the bottles they are pretty much exploding now when I open them, and they gush out for a few minutes. What could have caused this?

Siamo venuto, noi abbiamo visto, noi abbiamo bevuto tutta la birra.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2008, 03:27 AM   #2
Grinder12000
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 2

How do they taste ?????

Grinders Island Brewery - Pipeline

Bottled! Award winning East India Porter, Oatmeal Stout, Milk Stout, Saison fermenting at 85 degrees as I type.

Old 07-22-2008, 03:28 AM   #3
BigKahuna
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 6

what he's getting at is that if they taste ok, your fermentation wasn't done, and or you used too much priming sugar.
If they suck, you gotcherself an infuction.

Old 07-22-2008, 05:44 AM   #4
yezzo
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

They taste fine, and they were perfect for about a month after bottling. I just had about a 12 pack left and now they all gush.

Old 07-22-2008, 10:46 AM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2711 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

More than likely if the were fine for a good amount of time and after 4 months they are gushing, you picked up a gusher infection, they take awhile to manifest...

Or it's something to do with your storage...Did you chill them down for a week before cracking them...if not, give it a try, leave whatever you have left in the fridge for a week to see if the cold will absorb the excess Co2....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-22-2008, 02:24 PM   #6
yezzo
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
More than likely if the were fine for a good amount of time and after 4 months they are gushing, you picked up a gusher infection, they take awhile to manifest...

Or it's something to do with your storage...Did you chill them down for a week before cracking them...if not, give it a try, leave whatever you have left in the fridge for a week to see if the cold will absorb the excess Co2....

I had about 6 in the fridge for over 2 weeks, those foamed a lot but didn't gush. The warm ones were almost exploding when opened. What is a gusher infection and how does it develop?

I'll give you guy's some notes on this brew because this is really confusing me.

I left it in the primary for about a week extra (about 2 weeks total), I didn't have time to transfer it. It stayed in the secondary for about 1 1/2 weeks, so i'm pretty sure it was done fermenting.

It was a kit from williamson so the amount of priming sugar was what I was given with the kit. I mixed 2/1 (2 parts water to 1 part sugar) with water and boiled before adding the sugar.

The closet I keep it in changes temp alot. It's avg 100 degrees here so to save money we keep the AC at 80-85 during the day then at 68 at night.

Also, if I over filled them will it cause this? I wasn't consistant on the gap in the bottles. Some had more space than others, I picked up a spring loaded bottle filler for my last batch to hopefully be more accurate in bottling.

Old 07-22-2008, 02:29 PM   #7
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2711 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Quote:
Originally Posted by yezzo View Post
Also, if I over filled them will it cause this? I wasn't consistant on the gap in the bottles. Some had more space than others, I picked up a spring loaded bottle filler for my last batch to hopefully be more accurate in bottling.

Oh...then that PROBABLY is the likely cause of this...not a gusher infection. Especially if the beers taste fine...

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Last edited by Revvy; 07-22-2008 at 02:32 PM.

Quick Reply