Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Green Apple Flavor

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2008, 11:44 PM   #1
DuffmanAK
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Green Apple Flavor

So, I really have put some effort in searching the forums for this one. I know I've read a few posts on it but can't seem to find them now. I may just be a moron when it comes to forum searches.

Anyway, seems my beer is developing a bit of a green apple taste. I couldn't remember what tends to contribute to this. I do know that I underfilled my bottles (by quite a bit, in some cases, the entire neck of the bottle was air). And I seem to recall that oxygenating the ber can give it this sorta flavor.

It seems that the flavor is getting more pronounced as it ages, however. Or it could just be now that I've noticed it, I'm noticing it more.

Thoughts?

The only, only time you should dump a brew is if you've finished it, bottled and aged it, tried it and nearly vomited, aged it for twice that long again, tried it again and nearly vomited again. It's damn hard to ruin beer. I've managed once.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2008, 11:46 PM   #2
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 606 Times on 352 Posts
Likes Given: 230

The green apple flavor means the fermentation process halted before completion. This could be caused by pitching into wort with too little oxygen, not pitching the correct amount of yeast, or just racking your beer too early. If you haven’t already racked and kegged/bottled the beer, the solution is to warm up the fermenter a bit so the yeast can “finish the job”.

Old 08-20-2008, 11:47 PM   #3
eschatz

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 17 Posts

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Green_apples

Edit: scratch that, reverse it. oxy is what can help it i think

What's tappening? :D

Old 08-20-2008, 11:49 PM   #4
DuffmanAK
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Hmm interesting.

That batck was in primary for 4 weeks (a little more than that actually). I even swished the fermentor around a bit in an attempt to rouse the yeast. The FG was 1.014 ish, I didn't end up taking an OG. This was my first batch, and didn't think of it. Also, the fermentor stayed at arounf 70F for the full duration. During the initial fermentation activity, it could have been a little hot (in the high 70s).

More than anything I'm trying to figure out what caused it so I don't repeat bad practices

The only, only time you should dump a brew is if you've finished it, bottled and aged it, tried it and nearly vomited, aged it for twice that long again, tried it again and nearly vomited again. It's damn hard to ruin beer. I've managed once.

Old 08-21-2008, 12:07 AM   #5
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 606 Times on 352 Posts
Likes Given: 230

High 70's could have been a little border line for developing some fruity esters.

What type of yeast and how much did you pitch?

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Old 08-21-2008, 12:10 AM   #6
DuffmanAK
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I had 2 packets of "Cooper's" Ale Yeast from my LHBS. I don't recall any other special markings on it. I also made a yeast starter out of it. I put it in a measuring cup with some extract syrup and warm water for probably 30 minutes before I pitched it.

Edit: Oh, and the water had been boiled/cooled/covered.

Quick Reply