gravity still high ??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philhead1

Reaction score
I brewed up a honey wheat the other day and it fermented quick, gravity never changed after 72 hrs. it went from SG .60 to a 21 and kit says a FG of 10 to 14, why is it still high?? I'm not freaking out just curious, its been 8 days now.

Have you taken readings every other day for the last 3 or 4 days? If they are all consistent there could be any number of reasons. You could have carmelized some of the extract and some of it won't be fermentable. We'd need to know your more about your process and your recipe to be able to give a better answer.

:tank:

It is a brewers best " full bodied weizenbier" all extract. I added roughly 1.5 lbs of local honey at the end of the boil. after 24 hrs active like my other brews at 3 days then on the second almost on activity, no krausen at all, shook bucket one more time. on day 3 took gravity reading of 20 at 68 degrees. now day 8 its still at FG of 20. I did scorch a little at boil, cheap electric stove, next boil will be with turkey frier burner. I'm ready to bottle but not sure if it ok.

I would leave it for another week and then check gravity. If it hasn't moved in another week, it likely is as done as it's going to get. I leave all beers in primary for 3 weeks then check gravity and bottle if it's close to where it should be.

Hey, it's good to see another Kentucky brewer on here!

You are stuck at 1.020 then. Munton's sucks. If you do a search for Munton you will find many threads where people complain about the same problem.

The reason I asked what yeast is cause the second time you mentioned your gravity you said 1.020. That just got bells going off in my head and I suspected that's what you used.

The good news though is that it's still beer. You will know for the future to avoid Munton's yeast. Try Nottingham dry yeast if you like dry yeast. It's pretty good and I use it frequently. Safale S-05 is a good one too if you can't find Nottingham.

give it a good sanitized swirl in the fermenter and let it go a few more days. Go for a smack pack activator yeast next time or look up how to do yeast starters for a good strong pitch, the muntons isn't so fun to work with.

ok thanks guys, this is my first time using muntons, my last batch was with nottinghams, had no problem with it. think I'm going to go for a brown ale next, what would be a good yeast for that?

I am a fan of Nottingham. You could try the Windsor yeast but if it's medium or high gravity, you may run into a problem. The good news with windsor is that if you get that swirl going if the fermentation gets stuck then you stand a good chance of getting the ferm going again. S-04 or S-05 would work well too.

Back