Generally... a Higher Volume Boil = Better, Correct?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChiN8

Reaction score
Soooo, It's already past the point of correction (I believe) if I ruined anything but I'm just wondering for next time.

I'm currently brewing 5 gal Extract batches. I just racked my American Wheat into my secondary and I set aside a small sample for me to try and..... it tasted, very watered down.

This batch I boiled 4 Gallons, steeped my grains at 155 degrees for 30 minutes, added Extract off heat, brought to a boil and added 1oz willamette pellet hops for an hour, sweet orange peels for 15 minutes at end of boil and pitched American Ale 1056.

From what I understand... GENERALLY, the higher volume of a boil the better for efficiency purposes, right?!?!?!

It's pretty hard to water down an extract recipe, so as long as you added all of the necessary extract, steeped grains, and came to your expected volume, it should be perfect. It's nearly impossible to tell how a finished beer will b e when it's young, uncarbed, and warm, so just give it time and I'm sure it will end up pretty close to what you expected.

But yes, the closer you can get to a full boil, usually the better. It helps the hops get utilized properly, lessens the effect of darkening caused by boiling a higher concentrated wort, etc.

A larger boil volume will give you better hop utilization, but with extract and steeping grains it won't affect the alchahol content at all.

Good Lord, you guys are awesome!

I have never asked a question and received so much pertainant information. I def. appreciate all the help and look forward to this batch!

Back