Fwh?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brick_haus

Reaction score
I,m brewing Denny's Rye IPA right now (AG) and the hop schedule calls for a hop addition (FWH). What does that mean?

Even before that. Once you've done your first runnings into the boil kettle from your mash tun you'll want to add the hops.

really??? I'd always heard that your first hop addition doesn't happen until you achieve a boil

wormraper said:
first wort hop.... meaning the one you put in right at 60 minutes usually.

Actually it's the hops you put in the kettle as you start collecting your wort when lautering.

wormraper said:
first wort hop.... meaning the one you put in right at 60 minutes usually.

First Wort Hopping is when you add the first addition at the beginning of the sparging process before the start of the boil.

First Wort Hopping is when you add the first addition at the beginning of the sparging process before the start of the boil.

funky, I'd never seen a recipe have anything before the 60 minute start point so I didn't realize that, live and learn

wormraper said:
funky, I'd never seen a recipe have anything before the 60 minute start point so I didn't realize that, live and learn

It's not a something done to often. We are all here to learn from each other :)

wormraper said:
what's the benefit of doing a FWH instead of just adding at the 60 min boil??

It contributes a smoother perceived bitterness. Some have chosen to use FWH in place of the 60 minute addition and others do both.

Ops. I had the same question. I added it to the wort right when I lit the burner. So it ki da sat I. The wort before the boil or as long as it took to get to a boil. Is that close enough?

hmmmm, interesting. I just did a SMaSH IPA this last week so maybe I'll replicate it again doing a FWH instead of 60 minute addition

It's actually very commonly done, especially in IPAs, and APAs.

There are a lot of discussions about this on the forum, including one recently where we talked about some of the differences in opinion on the IBUs and perceived bitterness. A search should turn up a ton of additional info!

I'll have to search for it differently. I tried searching before I posted but nothing came up under FWH...

Back