Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > is full boil ok?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2013, 10:22 PM   #1
davebstock
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Default is full boil ok?

Is it ok to do a full boil ending with 5 gal. When the kit specifies using 2.5 and adding water later?

1 Timothy 5:23

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 10:29 PM   #2
yewtah-brewha
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 64

most prefer a full boil. Your kit says 2.5 because most beginers dont have a pot large enough for a full boil. You will be fine! More important, what type of water did you use? tap water is ok, but its recomended to let the water sit overnight in an open vessel to clear any chlorine. I tried pre-boiling and I like it, but it is a time consuming process. my next batch is getting Spring water from a local spring in Salt lake!

Old 01-15-2013, 10:33 PM   #3
Upthewazzu
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Would it be beneficial to use one of those Brita or Pur filters that attached directly to the tap?

Old 01-16-2013, 12:33 AM   #4
jasonsbeer
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Mantra is "if it's good to drink, it's good to make beer with". Throw a 1/4 tablet of campden in before the boil to get rid of chlorine and chloramine.

If you have odd flavors, a filter should help. But, having a filter in line may remove minerals, you need minerals in the wort for healthy yeast and proper flavor. You may need to add some back in when using a filter. There's plenty of info around here that should help with this decision.

There are a terrible lot of lies going around the world, and the worst of it is half of them are true.

Winston Churchill

Old 01-16-2013, 12:40 AM   #5
billl
Recipes 

Liked 277 Times on 234 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Before you dump any extract in, do a trial run. Most stoves won't boil the 7 or so gallons it takes to end up with 5.

Old 01-16-2013, 12:47 AM   #6
twalte
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by billl View Post
Before you dump any extract in, do a trial run. Most stoves won't boil the 7 or so gallons it takes to end up with 5.
Good point...I have a fairly heavy duty gas stove in my kitchen and I was struggling to get 4 gallons boiling. If you can get your kettle over more than one burner you may have a chance.

Or just recognize that you are in for a long haul and start looking for a propane burner. This "hobby" quickly becomes an expensive obsession.

"You can’t be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline – it helps if you have some kind of football team, or some nuclear weapons but at the very least you need a beer"
- Frank Zappa

Old 01-16-2013, 01:57 AM   #7
histo320
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upthewazzu View Post
Would it be beneficial to use one of those Brita or Pur filters that attached directly to the tap?
I have done this before with no ill effects.

Drinking - Cream of Three Crops
Bottled - HipHOPapotamus IPA
Primary #2 - Highland Gaelic Ale Clone
Up Next - Looking for good Brown or Stout

Old 01-16-2013, 02:11 AM   #8
HeadyKilowatt
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Not only is it okay to do a full boil, but your beer will actually be better for it. However, bigger boil volume = better hop utilization, so you'll squeeze more IBUs out of your hops. Your beer will be more bitter than the kit/recipe is designed to give you. You can adjust for that by scaling back your bittering hop amounts. If you don't have BeerSmith or similar brewing software to help you do this, just post the recipe and I'm sure somebody on here will run the numbers for you and help you out.

Old 01-16-2013, 06:16 AM   #9
davebstock
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Thanks for all the advice. I have read about water quality. First batch was at a friends with city water. I live on an acreage with well water. Doing a milk stout from Brewers Best next. Debating on using the hard water (no softner installed) or going with distilled from the store. I am going to check the hardness in ppm to see how much calcium I have. I will be buying a turkey fryer for heating the water so I'll go full boil.

Any thoughts on well water use? I know it depends on quality of my specific water. Pretty sure it's mostly high in calcium. If I'm mostly doing darker beers, it sounds like up to 300ppm could be benificial?

1 Timothy 5:23

Old 01-16-2013, 06:36 AM   #10
schittbreff
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Just one small thing worth mentioning here. If a kit is designed for a partial boil then the hops that come with it will need to be adjusted, (you will need less) for a full volume boil.

Quick Reply