Fruit flies

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danzilleBC

Reaction score
Hi, as everyone was so helpful with my first attempt at a forum and my 1st beer, which by the way turned out fantastic - hubby was really pleased with it. I thought I would ask about fruit flies, I have started a wine 4 days ago and it is in the primary fermenter, a large bucket with a lid (no airlock) and I have discovered fruit flies flying all around the bucket.

I know these can ruin a full batch of wine but how will I know if it is ruined, will it have an obvious bad smell or look to it. At the moment it is still fermenting. Today I have set a vinegar trap near the fermenter and within 15 minutes there was 7 flies around the trap, I would of said there was only a couple in the room, my worry is that they are small enough to creep under the lid or they got in before I put the lid on.

What do you think, should a throw out the wine or wait.

Thanks danzille

Unless you find flies inside your bucket, I wouldn't worry about it. I will suggest however, do not open the lid anywhere near where the flies are. I too have fruit flies in my kitchen, and a couple of days ago, I boiled a sample of my hard cider to sterilize it. Literally, between the time I opened the sample to check it and get the cover back on, there were two flies already in it.

Thanks for the reply, I hope it will be ok, the only thing now is I don't know if the wine smells vinegary or its because I have the vinegar trap near by. I suppose I need to wait until it is ready to rack off and taste it then. They are amazing how they seem to appear from nowhere

Danzille

I would cover the fermentor with a fine mesh bag the flies will not be able to pass through. A BIAB grain bag would be large enough.

Is the bucket sealed, or is there an avenue they're able to crawl or fly through? If it's sealed I wouldn't worry. My airlock occasionally have fruit flies but our wine or beer has always been fine. As suggested, don't open the bucket with them around. Kyle

Thanks to everyone for your posts, fingers crossed it will be ok, as I said I have put apple cider vinegar traps around everywhere and I am amazed at how they have been attracted to it, so hopefully they have left the wine alone. It is due for its first racking but I will wait until the traps are showing no signs of flies.

Back