Fruit Cap Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hannibalmdq

Reaction score
Many years ago, I screwed around in college with some extract kits and had terrible results. Last December I decided to take another go at it and dove into all-grain. I've had a blast so far and some brews have been quite good.

I'm taking a stab at a Strawberry Rubarb Beglian Blonde. Last night I racked the beer to a secondary with frozen, thawed, and pasteurized fruit. This morning the fruit addition seems to be floating on top.

Is this normal? Should I be concerned? I used a sanitized rod to gently punch down the middle if the cap but couldn't get to the stuff around the edges. This is my first time with fruit, so I've no idea what to expect.

Well, I just tasted it....and is just awful. Smells great but it has an overpowering acid thing going on. I'm assuming it's the acid from the rhubarb. I may have just added way too much. It's six weeks in the fermentor as of now. From searching around it doesn't seem like the acid flavor may settle out. Is there any reason to let it sit? It's completely undrinkable as of now.

how much strawberry and rhubarb did you use? post your recipe, and all the details...it'll make it easier to help you out.

I just did a strawberry rhubarb pale ale that came out fantastic. For a 5g, I used 2 lbs strawberry and 1 lb rhubarb. all fresh, just washed and macerated with some sugar, and into the secondary for 2 weeks.

how much strawberry and rhubarb did you use? post your recipe, and all the details...it'll make it easier to help you out.

I just did a strawberry rhubarb pale ale that came out fantastic. For a 5g, I used 2 lbs strawberry and 1 lb rhubarb. all fresh, just washed and macerated with some sugar, and into the secondary for 2 weeks.

Sorry, this was an old thread and for some reason I thought I posted it in my original link. 2.75 gallon batch. 3 lbs strawberries & 1 lb Rhubarb, from grandfathers farm, washed, frozen, mashed, held at 160 F for 10 minutes to pasteurize.

Code:
[B]Grain			Weight (Lbs)	% Weight[/B]
Pilsner (2 Row) Ger	5		82.47%
Cane (Beet) Sugar	0.6875		11.34%
Wheat Malt, Ger		0.1875		3.09%
Aromatic Malt		0.1875		3.09%

Mash @ 151 F for 90 minutes
Preboil 4.18 Gallons @ 1.041 SG
Boiled 100 minutes
70 minute addition Cane Sugar
60 minute addition .5 oz Hallertau (13 IBU - Tinseth)
2.75 Gallons in Carboy @ 1.060 SG
Pitched WLP500 - Trappist Ale @ 70 F
Fermented between 70-75 F
Day 5 - 1.011 SG - 82% attenuation ( racked onto 3 lbs strawberries and 1 lb rhubarb )
Day 12- racked off fruit

It's 6 weeks old as of today. And it tastes just awful. So much acid.

Back