Foaming into blow off

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Suicid

Reaction score
Hi folks,

2nd day the foam is constantly goin through the blow off hose.

Should I open a bin and take some of the foam off or just like Mr. Bean "sit and look at the paintings"?

Yup. It's supposed to provide a means for all that extra krausen & gas to escape without blowing the lid off the fermenter.

Please tell us you have the blow off going into a container of diluted starsan of some sort? If that's the case you've created a larger airlock, and there's no reason to remove it until you're done.

Please tell us you have the blow off going into a container of diluted starsan of some sort? If that's the case you've created a larger airlock, and there's no reason to remove it until you're done.

Yes, sure it is going into a jar with about 1" of sanitizer.

as long as the end of your tube is under the sanitizer you should be good. Hope is is a large jar, some batches can blow a couple cups of krausen and over flow your container. I sometimes but the container in one of those aluminum pans to catch the over flow.

Then you're fine. I think it'd be a good idea in the future to do a little bigger container with more solution, but that's just my opinion. The one time you don't expect it to happen, is the one time you're going to be cleaning up a huge mess. I made a simple all extract wheat beer a couple months ago, and that thing took off like it was shot out of a cannon. I learned my lesson cleaning krausen off my face and from the inside of my fermentation chamber that fostered a nice batch of mold as well.

I use half gallon plastic vodka jugs for blow offs. 1/3 full of water with a splash of Starsan.

That first time happened I just grabbed 1 quart glass jar (with a screw lid).
But thanks, guys, for your suggestions, now I think I'm going to use something larger

I use half gallon plastic vodka jugs for blow offs. 1/3 full of water with a splash of Starsan.

I use a margarine cup in a larger pot (to catch extra blow off) with about 3/4 inch of Starsan. All you need is to keep the tube submerged. If even that. Contaminates cannot fly, they fall. They cannot navigate up the blow off tube especially with blow off coming out.

Less sanitizer lowers the chance of an "a gallon of sanitizer got sucked into my beer" thread.

My reasoning as well. Besides my fermenter stand is right across from me at the moment, so I can easily keep an eye on it. Out of sight, out of mind isn't always a good thing. Of course, I am retired as well. Lolz, just made me think of a Duke quote, " It's my way or...hell, it's MY way"! ha ha

Back