flys in my airlock!-potential risks??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spam

Reaction score
just noticed a little may fly in my air lock, yuck! as of now my lock has water in it but I will be switching to vodka tonight. made me ask,,what would happen if a fly ever managed to get into your wort and stayed in the wort for the month long ferment? health risks?

vodka is in now but when I was taking out my air lock i pulled to hard and got a hairline crack in the base of the air lock,,damit:( it's not leaking as of now but im starting to see the benefits of a blow-off hose!

no health risks as far as I know. the reason beer exists is because it's sterile and bad stuff can't survive in it.

the main issue is they could carry nasties that will cause an infection in your beer, making it undrinkable. what's done is done, so just ride it out and don't mess about with your beer until it's ready for the next stage. :)

Fruit flies can carry acetobacter. Not something thats simple to get rid of, once your equipment sees it. That being said if it was just in your airlock, you are probably okay.

Its not like you had a dead bat in your primary (Palmer book).

Back