flaked oats

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frosty24

Reaction score
Good day to all, I'm a newbie and of course have a problem. 3 days ago I brewed a summer blonde ale. I wanted to have a better head on my brew , so I mashed 1 pnd of flaked oats. After reading all the info available on line, i made a booboo! I mashed the oats alone. I told myself "oh well", and I carried on and added the rest of the ingredients anyway, which was 6 pnds od DME. I'm hoping that my beer will only be hazy. But in reality, what can or cannot happen?:mug:

To beer or not to beer, ha hell, give me three!

You'll end up with a beer that has the smooth taste of an oatmeal and a bit of haziness. Relax and enjoy it when it is done.

It won't be too bad, so don't worry.

keep in mind that oats make for this wonderful "creamy" mouthfeel, as oats are a bit oily and slick so they aren't the best choice for head retention or body. Next time, consider some flaked wheat or wheat malt (both need to be mashed), flaked barley in dark beers (since is creates a haze that is noticeable in lighter beers, or if you're not mashing, carapils which is a crystal malt that can be steep.

All of those are great for head and foam stability.

Good day to all, I'm a newbie and of course have a problem. 3 days ago I brewed a summer blonde ale. I wanted to have a better head on my brew , so I mashed 1 pnd of flaked oats. After reading all the info available on line, i made a booboo! I mashed the oats alone. I told myself "oh well", and I carried on and added the rest of the ingredients anyway, which was 6 pnds od DME. I'm hoping that my beer will only be hazy. But in reality, what can or cannot happen?:mug:

To beer or not to beer, ha hell, give me three!

Thanx a lot for the reassurance and the advice. Sometimes it's faster and cheaper to use someone else's experience. Can save time and money. Thanx again.

Homebrew is like infants: you never think yours is ugly.

Quite the contrary. The first time I mashed with oats and not enough grains I came out with sludge, and burned through the bottom of my pot and had to throw the whole thing out.

That was one ugly baby.

Edit: Not trying to worry you frosty, sounds like yours should come out fine =P

Sorry to hear about your misadventure w/ur brew 87. In my case I was very careful on controlling the heat. I swirled it around a bit during the mash to avoid scorching it. It just might come out a bit or with a lot of haze, but what matters to me, is that it tastes good. Thanx for the pat on the back.

First time I added oats to my one beer it was similar to your instance. I just went with it and brewed on. After the primary and then bottle conditioning I found that I had a really creamy, smooth light amber ale that has become one of my yearly summer brews now.

Moral of the story, you can almost never go wrong with an ingredient in beer (there are some exceptions like REALLY hot peppers) but you will always drink what you brew. Its a labor of love :fro:

Latest posts

Back