First yeast starter and first all-grain batch!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

h22lude

Reaction score
So tonight I brewed my first all-grain batch. I did AHS Fat Tire clone kit. I did BIAB as I don't have a mash tun yet.

I think it went really well. My strike water was 162 or so. My mash temp was 155 but it lowered to 150 which is where I wanted to be per the instructions.

My pre-boil reading was 1.046. My post-boil reading was 1.051 which is dead on with the instructions. I started with 7.5 gallons but I'm not sure what volume I started the boil with. I have about 5.25 gallons now.

I think it went well. I'm excited to find out what the finished product it seeing as this was my first time with all-grain, first time using a starter and first time using my tap water (I usually just use bottled water).

Temp is right at 65 right now which im happy with. Fermentation took off fast with that starter.

Congratulations. Making a starter is something that we all should probably be doing and you started out with it. Brew a few more batches with brew in a bag before you decide if you need to go to a traditional mash tun and the extra time involved with lautering, sparging, worrying about stuck sparges with different grains, etc.

Have you decided on what your next batch will be? Have you started it yet? :mug:

Congratulations. Making a starter is something that we all should probably be doing and you started out with it. Brew a few more batches with brew in a bag before you decide if you need to go to a traditional mash tun and the extra time involved with lautering, sparging, worrying about stuck sparges with different grains, etc.

Have you decided on what your next batch will be? Have you started it yet? :mug:

LOL no I haven't started it yet.My problem is I don't have enough kegs to keep brewing. I haven't bottled in a while so I guess I could start another batch and bottle it.

I have a few that I want to try. Da Yooper's House Ale is probably next. I also want to do a brown ale and a winter beer.

LOL no I haven't started it yet.My problem is I don't have enough kegs to keep brewing. I haven't bottled in a while so I guess I could start another batch and bottle it.

I have a few that I want to try. Da Yooper's House Ale is probably next. I also want to do a brown ale and a winter beer.

You could do another brew and let it set in the fermenter for 4 to 6 weeks. That might give you time to empty one of the kegs ..... :tank:

Latest posts

Back