First Time Recipe Attempt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedHeadBrew25

Reaction score
Okay this is my first stab at making up a recipe, so let this inexperienced noob know what you all think. Don’t hold back, I can take it……I hope??:confused:

I was going for some sort of Belgian style, but I don’t know where I really ended up. Can someone crunch the numbers?

As always, thanks in advance to all on this very helpful site!

Extract:
11.75 lbs Extra Light or Pilsner DME

Specialty Grains:
7.0 oz Munich 10L malt
5.0 oz Biscuit Malt
3.0 oz Aromatic Malt

Extras:
1 lbs Light Candi Sugar
1 lb Inverted Sugar

Hop/Spice Additions:
0.75 oz Styrian Golding pellets @ 60 min.
0.50 oz Saaz pellets @ 15 min.
7.20 grams Coriander Seed (cracked) @ 10 min.
2.40 grams Ginger @ 10 mins
2.40 grams Seed of Paradise @ 10 mins.

Yeast:
WLP570 Yeast w/ starter

Invest in a recipe calculator - you will not be sorry.

Assuming 5 gallons, this is too much fermentables and not enough hops. Plus, the malts you've chosen need to be mashed, not just steeped like crystal malt.

You've included spices as well - can't comment on that, since I don't care for them in beer.

You have enough grain there for a 10 gallon batch. Dial down the DME to about, 6.5 pounds with specialty grains mashed, or 8 lbs steeped. The specialty grains you can steep. I disagree with Dos Locos and the weight you have should be pretty good. If you mash them though you need to dial them down by 1/3 or you will have a 1.09 OG. You are spot on with the hops for 5 gals. Should make a nice balanced beer.

The best way to decide if you are going to like the beer is to look at each ingredient and decide what it will add that you are looking for. If you don't know WHY you are putting the ingredient into the recipe then you shouldn't put it in.

Good advice from bigin31 and dantodd. I'd just point out that while you certainly can steep those grains, since the starches have not fully converted to sugars, so will likely add starch haze to your brew, especially from the Munich. Those grains are fundamentally different from crystal malts.

They're not as nice or easy to use as the ones you buy/subscribe to, but there are several free brewing calculators available online. You could just crunch the numbers manually for things like OG of an extract recipe (about 42 pts/pound/gallon for DME, and 36 pts/pound/gallon for LME). BeerSmith is very easy to use, and has a 3 or 4 week free trial.

I agree that the quantity of fermentables is high for anything but maybe a barleywine. Just the DME and sugar you have listed puts the OG at about 1.120 for a 5 gal batch. The hopping also seems low, even for a low IBU style of beer. This all assumes a 5 gal batch size though. Were you planning on mashing the grains, or just steeping them briefly?

Back