First recipe advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zraeee

Reaction score
Hey everyone, just looking for some advice on this recipe. Not sure if the hop bill will be too intense for a 5 gallon batch... I'm a super hophead so I'm looking to create something extremely bitter and piney. Let me know your thoughts!

5 gallon All Grain

11 lbs two row
10 oz dextrose
7 oz crystal 40
7 oz carapils

OG - 1.071
FG - 1.017

90 min - 4 oz Columbus
45 min - 1 oz simcoe
30 min - 1 oz centennial

Flameout - 1 oz Amarillo
- 1 oz Cascade
- 1 oz simcoe
- 1 oz centennial

Dry hop - 1 oz centennial
- 1 oz Columbus
- 1 oz simcoe

California ale yeast 001 - abc of 7.2%

zraeee said:
Hey everyone, just looking for some advice on this recipe. Not sure if the hop bill will be too intense for a 5 gallon batch... I'm a super hophead so I'm looking to create something extremely bitter and piney. Let me know your thoughts!

5 gallon All Grain

11 lbs two row
10 oz dextrose
7 oz crystal 40
7 oz carapils

OG - 1.071
FG - 1.017

90 min - 4 oz Columbus
45 min - 1 oz simcoe
30 min - 1 oz centennial

Flameout - 1 oz Amarillo
- 1 oz Cascade
- 1 oz simcoe
- 1 oz centennial

Dry hop - 1 oz centennial
- 1 oz Columbus
- 1 oz simcoe

California ale yeast 001 - abc of 7.2%

I'm not even offering a comment on 11oz of hops in a 5 gallon batch. Not my kind of beer at all but hey...

I will hope though that you are adjusting your volumes to make up for the ridiculous amount of absorption and trub loss you'll experience, especially if any are leaf! If not you'll be lucky to get 4 finished gallons out this.

4 oz of Columbus for bittering is just a waste of hops. That's probably close to 200 IBUs, we can only taste 100. I'd drop that to 1.5 ounce for 90 minutes. Then try to keep the rest of your additions at 20 minutes or less, for aromas sake. The less they boil, the more aroma you'll keep.

1.5 oz Columbus @ 90
1 oz Centennial @ 15
1 oz Simcoe @ 10

I don't know what type of setup you have, but it you want some serious aroma and great hop juice taste, whirlpool those flameout additions for 20 minutes or so around 190 degrees. Then chill, send to ferment, and after that's done, do that dry hop. It'll be bitter and hoppy. You will get some bitterness from the whirlpool addition and end up somewhere around 110 IBUs.

For the whirlpool, I'd just go with 0.5 ounces of each, then dry hop with .5 or 1 ounce, whatever you need to finish the bag of hops you opened.

4 oz of Columbus for bittering is just a waste of hops. That's probably close to 200 IBUs, we can only taste 100. I'd drop that to 1.5 ounce for 90 minutes. Then try to keep the rest of your additions at 20 minutes or less, for aromas sake. The less they boil, the more aroma you'll keep.

1.5 oz Columbus @ 90
1 oz Centennial @ 15
1 oz Simcoe @ 10

I don't know what type of setup you have, but it you want some serious aroma and great hop juice taste, whirlpool those flameout additions for 20 minutes or so around 190 degrees. Then chill, send to ferment, and after that's done, do that dry hop. It'll be bitter and hoppy. You will get some bitterness from the whirlpool addition and end up somewhere around 110 IBUs.

For the whirlpool, I'd just go with 0.5 ounces of each, then dry hop with .5 or 1 ounce, whatever you need to finish the bag of hops you opened.

Agreed. Like this much better, but I might even consider lowering the columbus to 1 oz (or even .75) as to taste the other hops. And add more flame out hops.

"Bitter" is fine- but taking off my tooth enamel isn't! I like nice firm bitterness, but anything over about 90 IBUs is not really more bitter just harsher in my experience. Late hops, though, can never be overdone! In the 10, 5, 0 minute hops- the correct answer for an IPA question is always "mo hops is mo better!"

Like this:

90 min - .75- 1 oz Columbus
15 minutes: 1 oz simcoe
15 minutes: 1 oz centennial
5 minutes: 1 oz Amarillo
5 minutes 1 oz simcoe
Flame out- 1 oz cascade
Flame out- 1 oz centennial
Dryhop with 1 oz amarillo, 1 oz simcoe and 1 oz cascade

Hahah Wow I was cleeeaarrlllyyy over shooting that. Thanks for the advice, I'll go with that last one that was suggested

Back