First Real Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keromero11

Reaction score
Sorry if this is in the wrong section, but I am a beginner. I was wondering if someone could review my recipe and add any suggestions or quick fixes. My goal is to create a Red or amber ale. I do not like extremely hoppy beers like an IPA, the goal was to create something smooth.

1. 6 lbs amber Extract-Fermenter's favorites
2. 1 lb Traditional Dark- Fermenter's favorites
3. Briess caramel malt 80 L for seeping
4. UK goldings Hops 1/2 ounce beginning and 1/2 ounce at the end.
5. 1Oz UK Fuggle Hops added mid boil
6. 1 Oz Irish Moss
7. 2 teaspoons of Irish Ale Wyeast

Personally, I'd bump up the hops a little. I'd probably go to 1 oz at 60, and maybe bump the fuggles up 1/2 oz as well. it will be more bitter, but still on the low side.

I think 1/2 lb. of crystal should be OK.

Yeah i was leading towards the .5 lbs side. So I had someone recommend brewtoad to find out my estimations. I filled it in under the Irish Ale Parameters.

Estimates:

OG-1.062, .02 over the parameters. is this an issue?
SRM- 14, no idea what this is, I will have to research.
IBU- 26
FG- 1.014, about .007 over the suggested parameter.

Are you using LME or DME?

The dark extract is going to have some crystal in it already. I would personally cut the crystal 80 out entirely and up the dark malt extract. Maybe 5 lbs light malt extract and 2 lbs dark malt extract.

Also I would just combine all your hops and do 1oz for 60 minutes, .75oz for 25-30 min, and .25oz at 5 minutes or flameout.

Are you doing a full or partial boil? That makes a big difference for hop flavor & bitterness coming through in the finished beer. If you are doing a partial boil I would probably up the hops or do 1.5oz for 60 minutes and .5oz at 25-30 minutes skipping the hop addition at 5 minutes - flameout entirely.

I would say your beer would resemble a low hop Irish red or amber ale. I wouldn't get too hung up on style though, just brew what you think is going to be good and then tweak your recipe going forward.

Cheers :mug:

Yeah i was leading towards the .5 lbs side. So I had someone recommend brewtoad to find out my estimations. I filled it in under the Irish Ale Parameters.

Estimates:

IBU- 26

There won't be an issue with your over the "style perimeters" OG. It will still be beer, just not beer to a style.

SRM is a measure of color. Google srm chart and it will show you.

Do some research on pitch rate of your yeast. Pitch rate and fermentation temps are going to affect the quality of your finished product more than any of the things you are asking about.

Also, with an OG that high I would agree with the advice of upping the hops at 60 minutes. I would be after closer to 40 ibu from just that addition to balance out the malt even on a non hoppy beer.

Estimates:

IBU- 26

SRM is color. 14 is a nice orange/red color. the higher the number, the darker the beer. a stout would be 40+.

This will have low bitterness the way you have it designed.

As far as bitterness goes - what styles/beers do you enjoy? Maybe you could adjust the hops to approximate that.

As far as yeast, if you're using dry you can use the entire packet without a problem.

If you're using liquid yeast, you may want to look into creating a starter a few days before you brew or use 2 smack packs. It's easy to do. there's a sticky here that explains it.

Wow this is great, so many replies this is great :rockin:

Aprichman: I am using DME, and I was thinking for 5 gallons, make my wort 3 gallons. I will follow your recommendations for hops addition. I dont know if you have had a killington, but thats the kind of "style" I was hoping for. Like I said, I am not into overly hoppy like an IPA.

PatrickGoss- Thanks! And yeah I will have to research it.

Hamaki- To be honest I ordered off NorthernBrewers. I'm Kinda winging it? I was wanted an Irish beer so i bought an irish yeast.

b-boy- I am not too picky with my beers. I enjoy stouts, blue moons, some sam adams stuff, especially sam winter. Shipyard prelude, their summer ale isn't that bad either. Like I said before, I do not like the bitterness of the IPAs

Thank you everybody for the replies. Super Helpful. :D:drunk:

I had a few Killian's Irish Reds back in the day, I think what you brew will compare favorably to it :)

Just noticed one IMPORTANT thing - don't use 1oz of irish moss that's WAAAAAY too much :eek: You want about 1 tsp added ~5-10 minutes before you end the boil.

Back