First brew stuck SG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waldoap

Reaction score
Working on my first brew (American amber Extract Kit) and I've got a stuck SG. It's been in the primary for 3.5 weeks and has been at 1.019 for the past two weeks. I'd like to get it into a secondary or into bottles just to get it off of the trub at the bottom of the primary.
Just wondering if I need to repitch some yeast to get the SG down before I bottle? Also, if the yeast has gone dormant, will the beer carbonate properly, when I add priming sugar?

Sorry to nitpick, but the SG (starting gravity) will not change after brew day. You measure it after the boil, then you're done.

Your FG (final gravity) is what you are referring to. 1.019 is a little on the high side, but nothing to worry about. If it's been staying the same for 2 weeks, then it's done. You could repitch to try and drop a couple more points, but IMO it's not worth it.

I had a brew stop fermenting at 1.036 once (SG was 1.060). I didn't have any extra yeast so I bottled anyway. It carbed up nice and tasted great.

ryanflc said:
Sorry to nitpick, but the SG (starting gravity) will not change after brew day. You measure it after the boil, then you're done.

Your FG (final gravity) is what you are referring to. 1.019 is a little on the high side, but nothing to worry about. If it's been staying the same for 2 weeks, then it's done. You could repitch to try and drop a couple more points, but IMO it's not worth it.

I had a brew stop fermenting at 1.036 once (SG was 1.060). I didn't have any extra yeast so I bottled anyway. It carbed up nice and tasted great.

Not to nitpick, but sg stands for specific gravity. OG is original gravity. ;)

some people use it to mean Starting Gravity, but I agree OG and FG are better to use since it avoids all confusion :)

My most recent beer (IPA) was bottled at 1.019 (after staying that way a couple days), no problems with it at all.

Back