First brew ever! Please help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Molinafsu

Reaction score
Hi guys, I have a few questions on my brew. My wife bought me a brew kit for our anniversary two weeks ago. We started our brew on Sunday the 18th. After reading a bit here I see how everyone's beer takes weeks and months to finish fermentating and being ready but my amber beer says i can bottle in a week. So what are your suggestions. It doesn't sound right to me. After day 3 we went from bucket to glass carboy. Here are a few questions.

I have a Kegerator ... When it's ready can I add it to the corny keg I bought and it will be ready or does it have to sit for some days?

What is the sugar that came in the kit for? It's obviously for bottling but I'm not bottling should I add it to the beer now or when it's going into the corny keg?

Any tips or concerns .....thank you guys ahead of time. I really want to get good but at this point I'm starting out so I apologize for the newbie questions.

I'm a relatively new brewer myself, but I'll answer what I can based on what I know.

First, the general consensus is to let the beer ferment a minimum of two weeks. The best way to tell when it's done fermenting is when specific gravity, as measured by a hydrometer, holds steady for three days. If you don't have a hydrometer, I'd suggest making it the next on your list of planned brewing equipment purchases as it's one of the most critical pieces of brewing equipment in my view.

Also, though opinions differ on this, I personally see no reason to move the beer from the bucket to the carboy after three days. A lot of brewers, including me, just leave the beer in primary the whole time (again, at least 2 weeks) unless there's some specific reason to move it (like dry hopping).

The sugar was probably for bottling. If you add it to your brew, you should at least boil it first to santize it. It will boost the abv a tiny bit, and dry out the beer a tiny bit, but neither one will be particularly noticeable. I wouldn't add it prior to kegging if you are force-carbonating your beer.

Good luck!

No reason to use a secondary unless you are racking onto fruit or something. Just primary for two weeks, then keg. No need to use the sugar unless you are bottling. Put it on co2, and it'll be ready to drink in a few days. You can use higher co2 pressure for a day or two, then bleed it off and set it to your serving pressure to have it ready to drink quicker. Mine is usually set to around 6 psi to serve. That depends on your lines and kegerator temperature though.

Stronger beers usually need more time to mellow out, but you can have most beers in a glass within three weeks.

So since I siphoned it out and it's in the carboy after three days I pretty much screwed it up? There is no yeast on the bottom.

The fermentation should continue until your hydrometer readings are at a terminal gravity. Most beers are going to finish between 1.014 to 1.005 depending on the style. The lower gravities will tend to be belgian beers and higher will be could be english ales or really high gravity beers such as a barley wine. There are various ways to increase the attenuation of your beer you can raise the temp at the end of fermentation. Swirling the beer in the fermenter after the kruesen falls will also work. Swirling gets the yeast back into suspension and they get back to work.

One of the hardest things about brewing is being patient. BTW -- you don't need to rack the beer to secondary except for a few situations. The only thing you are doing by racking to a second vessel is increasing your chances of getting an infection.

Congrats on your first brew.

I sure hope so I really was excited about drinking my first glass. So basically I can have two beers fermentating at once. One in the bucket and one in the carboy. I'm probably going to get my next batch going soon since I might of screwed this one up. Do you guys buy kits that come with yeast malt and extract hops or do you put together your own ingredients?

I put my own together, usually from recipes I find on here. I started with extract kits, then moved up to all grain.

I think starting with kits is a good way to go. As soon you find one you like, just write down the ingredients to reproduce and start experimenting. You can start by changing the hops or the yeast and see the differences. You will be amazed at the difference changing yeast will make. A great experiment is too split a batch between two different yeasts to compare the difference.

Time to introduce you to the most important term in brewing... RDWHAHB or "Relax, don't worry, have a homebrew". This is one of the hardest things to learn the first time you brew. However, remember that even the ancient eqyptians made beer. They didn't have kits and sanitation like we do today. No matter what you do, you will end up with beer. The key to really great homebrew is dialing in your process and controlling as many variables as possible. You won't really be able to do this since it is your first time which is why you follow the kit instruction which are generally bullet proof.You are fine. Your beer is not screwed up and it will be fine.

Moving from the bucket to carboy after 3 days will not casue issues as other have said. Plenty of yeast in suspension to finish things out.

If you are going to keg, you won't use the sugar. Discard it or use it for something else, but don't put it in the keg. You could do this, but there is no point to it if you are going to connect this to C02.

As far as kegging goes, do this...
  1. after fermentation is done, add beer to keg, seal, connect to gas, place in kegorator
  2. Set CO2 pressure as needed by the style, but generally 8-12 PSI should be fine.
  3. Wait for the beer to carb. This should take about 2 weeks to fully carb but will be drinkable after 2. (Honestly it is drinkable right away, but it will be best usually after about 2 weeks)
  4. Know that your beer will taste a bit different each day for the first few days. I usually find my beers tast bad for the first 3-5 days before the carbonation really gets right.

Finally, welcome to the club and enjoy. But always remember to RDWHAHB.

After reading a bit here I see how everyone's beer takes weeks and months to finish fermentating and being ready but my amber beer says i can bottle in a week.

This confused the heck out of me when I started. It isn't just the just the fermenting that takes weeks and months but aging and clearing out as well. Fermentation itself will usually take about a week but can take as little as 4 or a long as 10. Then you *can* bottle it immediately and let it finish aging and clearing in the bottle at the same time it's carbonating. But why? If you bottle before the fermentation is done it is a catastrophe and the only way to *know* if fermentation is done is to verify that hydrometer readings are stable for three days. Notice what *that* means?; by the time you've got a stable reading after three days you've already let the beer age in the primary for three days. Also most of us have a feeling that beer ages and clears in bulk better than it will in bottles. This may or may not be true, probably isn't. Then there is sediment. If the beer isn't clear at bottling time there will be lots of sediment in the bottles and who wants that?

The "weeks and months" are usually heavy beers like stouts or barley wines. 10 days and 2weeks (to be certain) are good enough for most beers. Your kit says 1 week and that's possible (I guess they must have a special fast acting yeast) and even likely but that's rushed. Your beer *will* be better if you wait just to be sure and to allow a bit of aging and clearing to start.

What is the sugar that came in the kit for? It's obviously for bottling but I'm not bottling should I add it to the beer now or when it's going into the corny keg?
If you don't bottle, you don't use it. period.

So since I siphoned it out and it's in the carboy after three days I pretty much screwed it up? There is no yeast on the bottom.
Why did you transfer it after 3 days? Did the instructions say to? Or did you figure that if bottling was in a week and half the time should be in secondary then...?

You *probably* shouldn't have, but when you transfered you probably transfered the yeast that was in suspension. If fermentation was ending you maybe transferred less yeast but as fermentation was ending you'll need less yeast. My *instincts* say: this is all the more reason you should let this brew sit longer to let the yeast in the carboy "catch up".

In future if you secondary, you should wait for final gravity to stabilize before transfering. This *also* confused me when I started out. I thought it was 3 weeks before bottling and the choice was whether the 3 weeks was in the primary or split between the primary and secondary. I was wrong. It's actually 10 days to 2 weeks before final gravity is reached and the choice is whether to bottle as soon as final gravity is reached *AND* verified or whether to then transfer to secondary for an additional week or two *or* (third option) leave it in the primary for additional week or so.

I'm not a believer in secondary and I do a combination of option one and three. I forment and I look at it. I usually see and think that it is done fermenting after about a week but I figure there's no need to rush. If it's done fermenting I'm going to let it age. Then, depending upon my schedule, I'll check for final gravity maybe as early as after 10 days but usually after at least two weeks. Then I check it again 3 days later. Then I bottle. My thinking is "maybe the beer *just* fermenting and I'm bottling immediately which is okay; or maybe the beer finished fermenting a while ago and I let it age before bottling which is also okay" I then let the beer carbonate and/or age for either 3 weeks or until 6 weeks from brew day whichever is longer.

I sure hope so I really was excited about drinking my first glass. So basically I can have two beers fermentating at once. One in the bucket and one in the carboy.

Yes, and one advantage to not secodarying is that the schedule of one will not be dependent upon the other.

Do you guys buy kits that come with yeast malt and extract hops or do you put together your own ingredients?

I don't think those are as different as people make them out to be. I brew 2 gallon batches so I find a recipe and buy the ingredients and quite often the recipe I use comes from a kit. Occasionally I buy a kit and make 2 1/2 batches from it but mostly I gather my ingredients from a recipe.

Does it really make any difference?

Well, the pre-hopped kits (Mr. Beer and Coopers) where you just add water and yeast, I suppose are different. But if you are putting ingredients together, what does it matter if you packaged the ingredients or someone else packaged the ingredients. There are some kits where you have to provide the additional items such as dried orange peel or honey. So you can think of recipes as kits where you have to provide the grain, extract and hops.

One of the hardest things about brewing is being patient. BTW -- you don't need to rack the beer to secondary except for a few situations. The only thing you are doing by racking to a second vessel is increasing your chances of getting an infection.

How are you increasing your chances of infection by racking to a second vessel? Just the transfer of the brew being exposed to air? Once its in the vessel its cut off from oxygen and air. Just interested to see why.

Thanks

perkowskyf2 said:
How are you increasing your chances of infection by racking to a second vessel? Just the transfer of the brew being exposed to air? Once its in the vessel its cut off from oxygen and air. Just interested to see why.

Thanks

Anytime you move it you are exposing it to new surfaces that could potentially have something on them that could infect them. If you kill 99% of bacteria on everything that touches the wort, there is still 1% left. Those 1's add up. Still unlikely that it will get infected, but more likely than if it was not moved. I personally have never had an infected batch. I used to secondary, but now I don't just because its easier; and I get the same results. Mostly a hypothetical argument.

How are you increasing your chances of infection by racking to a second vessel? Just the transfer of the brew being exposed to air?
Yes.

And the exposure to the surface of carboy.

Every time you expose a beer to air and a new surface you are risking an infection. You risked infection getting the wort/beer into the primary fermentor. Moving it to a secondary is therefore doubling the risk. Hence (giggle, giggle) you'll go twice as long without an infection if you don't secondary.

Okay, maybe when put like that you'll realize the chance of an infection is low and you can counter "twice nothing is nothing". As we take good enough protection that we assume we won't get an infection when we pitch the yeast so we can assume we'll take good enough protection that we won't get an infection secondarying.

Well... true but *every* exposure is a risk. That's why we don't open the fermenter 5 times a day and take hydrometer readings every hour.

It's simply a risk that is always there.

Thanks

If your sanitation is good the risk is very low, but what do you gain by moving to secondary? You are better to leave it in the primary and wait for fermentation to complete and then cold crash to clear before kegging or bottling. I have only used a secondary for barley wine, but that had to sit for 8 months. If you left it on the yeast they would die off and spill their guts. You end up with meaty off-flavors when that happens.

When you leave your beer on the yeast cake, they finish fermentation and clean up a lot of by-products produced earlier in the process, such as diacetyl. Your beer will almost always be better with three weeks in the fermenter. Having said that, good beer can be made often with 10 to 14 days.

Thank you guys for all the tips.... I'm dying to taste my first batch.... Regardless I found a brew place here in miami and I got a second batch of a much harder ipa. Haven't started yep but might tomorrow. Regardless thanks to all you guys have definitely help. One more question when carbonization I don't attach the white part of the keg? Just so it stays carbonized?

Back