First Bottling Day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlanier01

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Today is bottling day for my first extract kit. Here are my preparation steps.

1 - 5 Gallon Bottling Bucket w/Spigot filled with water and 1oz of StarSan
24 - Brown 12 oz Bottles
18 - Brown 30 0z. Bottles
1 - Cleaning Brush
1- Auto-Siphon w/hose attached
1 - Bottling Tube (skinny tube you insert into the beer bottle)
1 - Hydrometer
1 - Friend who volunteered to help me bottle & wants to learn how to brew.
1 - Bottle Brush
60 - Beer Caps
1 - Bag of Priming Sugar

So, I spent some prep time last night getting ready. I prepared my 5 gal. bucket of StarSan and have let the auto-siphon, spoon, bottle brush and bottle caps soak over night. Anything that will touch beer will go into the sanitizer. I also boiled the spigot parts and dispensed sanitized liquid from the bottling bucket.

Bottle Cleaning: I ran my dishwasher on the hottest cycle with NO soap to rinse out any junk/soap residues. I bought enough brown bottles from my LHBS shop and placed them in my dishwasher. I used the High Temp, Sani Rinse, Heat Dry mode to do the initial wash with NO dishwasher detergent.

Today I will dunk the bottles in the StarSan solution and then re-hang the bottles upside down in the dishwasher. I also plan to spray StarSan on the dishwasher itself, just for extra precaution.

My plan is to auto-siphon to my bottling bucket w/priming sugar prepared, and then get the bottling bucket on to my countertop next to the dishwasher. Take a Hydro reading. Measure my FG and ABV. Once the bottles have air-dryed, I'll start filling bottles and placing them back into the box. My buddy will probably be responsible for bottle capping, but we'll definitely take turns.

My general plan is to leave these bottles for 3 weeks at room temp (72F). before moving them into a wine fridge (50F) for 1 week to cool and settle the yeast even further.

If anyone sees any holes in my gameplan, I'd appreciate the advice. Thanks for all the previous help/support.

jlanier01

Moving the primary early to let the beer settle is something I'm definitely going to do. Also, going to take the hydro reading right away to determine the amount of sugar... good stuff.

i don't think there's anything wrong with soaking your plastic stuff in starsan overnight, but i don't think metals (bottle caps) are supposed to be exposed for extended periods... maybe someone can back me up here, but things only need about 30 seconds of exposure to be sanitized with starsan.

and just FYI, a number of people here have used the dishwasher method as you describe for the sanitizing step as well, without having to dunk them in starsan, but there's nothing wrong with being double sure.

the rest of the plan sounds good, have fun with it! the thread revvy linked helped me out a ton with my first bottling session.

i don't think there's anything wrong with soaking your plastic stuff in starsan overnight, but i don't think metals (bottle caps) are supposed to be exposed for extended periods... maybe someone can back me up here, but things only need about 30 seconds of exposure to be sanitized with starsan.

Thanks for the advice. I have a few packs of unopened caps.. I might start over, just to be sure.

I'm having a buddy help me bottle, so I was trying to cut down on the less fun stuff for him.. by prepping a little early.

Thanks!

Back