Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First 5-gal Batch Going Now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2012, 05:43 PM   #11
ThomasO
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

This year has been about learning. Got my Mr Beer kit for Christmas, bought all the related books, got the Ale Pale kit given to me, collected bottles, and have made around 7 or 8 Mr B brews and my first regular batch. Next year will be more about experimenting, finding that elusive Weinachtsbier that memory tells me was so good but for the life of me I have no real recollection of taste. Even though I've been tinkering, I am going to a beginner class in November at the local home brew supply store, and will keep reading into the intermediate level. It can only get better with more training and experience. I've enjoyed everything I've made so far. Not everything came out the way it was supposed to, but it all tasted good to me, and the little bit I have shared didnt get any complaints. The test will come with what I take to the staff Christmas party.

Beer, beer, beer said the sergeant

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2012, 06:57 PM   #12
ThomasO
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I've bottled the batch and await trying the first bottle. It was an interesting time. I broke the seal to work with transfer, adding sugar and stuff, and about half of the water in the bubbler thing immediately drained into the mix. Happily the batch made the recommended ending gravity after compensation for actual temperature. Glad I read over the hydrometer instructions one more time. So far, so good. I'm going ahead with the next 5-gallons on Sunday with the Dunkel Weizen kit. I learned a lot as I went with the first batch, this one should be even better. I'll be trying out the first of 48 bottles I got out of the first batch on the 27th.

Old 11-02-2012, 03:54 PM   #13
ThomasO
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Had the first bottle on the 29th, and wow. Great stuff. More than a hint of chocolate, very creamy and great head retention. Now working on a second 5-gal batch, this time the Dunkel Weitzen. Brewed on Sunday and slowly fermenting away. I'm not noticing any bubbling in the airlock, but temp is just above the 65 degree mark, so may just be slow. We shall see in a few weeks.

Tom Oxley

Old 11-14-2012, 05:59 PM   #14
ThomasO
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Since temps have been on the low side, I have left my Weitzenbier for an extra week. Picked up 48 bottles at Brewtensils and will be working on bottling this Sunday. If this stuff tastes as good as the Brown Ale, I'm totally hooked on this new hobby.

Tom Oxley

Old 12-12-2012, 09:48 PM   #15
ThomasO
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

From bottling day to opening that first bottle, time has flown. I had my first dunkleweitzen on Monday night and it was excellent. Having 2 batches come out so well has really given me some confidence. I have the kit for my third one, a Scottish Ale, ready to go for this weekend. I know I want to do a stout in February so it's ready for March but am not sure what to do for January. Perhaps my first IPA.

Tom Oxley

Old 12-12-2012, 10:55 PM   #16
vetbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Sounds like your having a blast. I also look forward to my next brew day. I have a German Altbier i bottled 3weeks ago that I'm really wanting to taste. Think I'll put a few in the fridg. tomorrow for Saturday.

Old 02-08-2013, 09:34 PM   #17
ThomasO
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

My next kit, a Scottish Ale, was brewed 3 weeks ago Sunday. I put the fermentor in the basement, where the temp is usually around 65 all year round. The fermentor temp settled out at about 68 for a couple of days. Then we had the sudden below 0 temp drops, and my basement hit 55, fermentor temp around 58. I brought it back upstairs and slowly back to 68 over 3 days, trying not to shock the yeast. Now it hasnt had a single bubble in the air lock and I'm a bit concerned. I plan to let it sit for one more week then bottle as normal. I've been told that these things dont always bubble away, and the batch of Dunklewietzen I'm nearly done with didnt bubble at all but has been a really great batch. I'm hoping I can repeat that success with this Ale. My fear is that I will reawaken the yeast with the sugars when I prepare and bottle it and end up with exploding bottles. Thanks for your thoughts.

Tom Oxley

Quick Reply