Final gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

takkforalt

Reaction score
So I was posting in the introductions space and realised this is probably more appropriate. Quick catch up on my first batch woes. I overboiled this IPA so ended up with 10.5litre batch when aiming for 15litre. I didn't take an OG reading.
It's now two weeks on and I just took a reading with a hydrometer showing 1.012. The hydrometer seems to suggest that 1.005 is where it's ok to bottle. Should I wait a few days/another week to see if it will fall to this?
Second is on priming. Some others have suggested that since I over boiled I could add water at the end, however I was going to try half the batch without topping up and half with. This however wouldn't work if using a priming sugar solution as this would be further diluted in the topped up version.

Any tips/advice would be great!

So I was posting in the introductions space and realised this is probably more appropriate. Quick catch up on my first batch woes. I overboiled this IPA so ended up with 10.5litre batch when aiming for 15litre. I didn't take an OG reading.
It's now two weeks on and I just took a reading with a hydrometer showing 1.012. The hydrometer seems to suggest that 1.005 is where it's ok to bottle. Should I wait a few days/another week to see if it will fall to this?
Second is on priming. Some others have suggested that since I over boiled I could add water at the end, however I was going to try half the batch without topping up and half with. This however wouldn't work if using a priming sugar solution as this would be further diluted in the topped up version.

Any tips/advice would be great!

1.012 is a fine FG. Make sure it's the same in a few days, and it will be safe to bottle.

I'm not sure how to tell you how to prime if you're adding water to only half the batch. I guess the best way is to taste the beer. If it tastes like it would be better watered down, water down the whole batch? If it tastes fine like it is, then don't?

Otherwise, you can buy carb tabs and prime bottles individually, or rack half into the bottling bucket with priming sugar, bottle, and then rack the other half into the bottling bucket with the extra water along with the proper amount of priming sugar. Either of those ways would work.

First, the hydrometer itself doesn't tell you when it bottle as in there's no indication on the hydrometer that would say "bottle now". The hydrometer will give you a reading which will hopefully be on spot with your anticipated final gravity.

Was this an extract batch?

The reading you have sounds good but what was your anticipated final gravity? I would take another reading in a few days to see if it is still at 1.012. How long ago did you brew?

Topping off:
Once you pitched yeast you do not want to top off with water. You'll ruin your beer. Once you figured out you boiled off too much, you could have taken a reading and then topped off if the original gravity was too high, but it is far too late. The IPA should still turn out well.

Topping off:
Once you pitched yeast you do not want to top off with water. You'll ruin your beer. Once you figured out you boiled off too much, you could have taken a reading and then topped off if the original gravity was too high, but it is far too late. The IPA should still turn out well.

Why is it too late? I don't understand why it would be. As long as the water is boiled (deoxygenated) when added, and then cooled, it should be fine. We do the same thing with our priming solution when adding water and sugar.

I've done it myself, without any thought of the beer being ruined.

This was a DME batch with a combo of 3 hops and steeping grain. Bit of an experiment for birthday with advice that I forgot to write down from the microbrewery down the road. I tasted some when reading today and I thought it tasted fine and even better with a little fizz and chilled, so maybe I won't add water later other than the priming solution.

Thanks for the advice

Why is it too late? I don't understand why it would be. As long as the water is boiled (deoxygenated) when added, and then cooled, it should be fine. We do the same thing with our priming solution when adding water and sugar.

I've done it myself, without any thought of the beer being ruined.

He's talking about adding what sounds like a heck of a lot more than 2 cups of water to his finished beer. Won't that water it down? Many threads have mentioned this and I basically see the logic.

He's talking about adding what sounds like a heck of a lot more than 2 cups of water to his finished beer. Won't that water it down? Many threads have mentioned this and I basically see the logic.

Yes. But, if you meant to make a 5 gallon batch, and you didn't add enough water so ended up with a 4 gallon batch, adding deoxygenated water to make it 5 gallons won't hurt.

Yes. But, if you meant to make a 5 gallon batch, and you didn't add enough water so ended up with a 4 gallon batch, adding deoxygenated water to make it 5 gallons won't hurt.

Okay so I get that but after fermentation too?

It won't ruin the batch, but can sometimes impact the flavor. I've had to top off some batches with some water after a vigorous boil and a big dry hop. I've yet to have any adverse effects though. 1 gal might subdue the hops or maltiness, but that's all up to the OPs discretion if it can tolerate/utilize it

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

What would be the difference? Before, or after? Wort is wort, the same gravity before the fermentation and will ferment the same. Water is water. I don't see how it can possibly make a difference. Oxygen is an issue, and you don't want to splash or add oxygen. But if using deoxygenated water- how is that different if I had it today than a week ago? I guess I just don't see the difference. Adding it is adding it.

InBev does it all the time, as do other mega breweries.

What would be the difference? Before, or after? Wort is wort, the same gravity before the fermentation and will ferment the same. Water is water. I don't see how it can possibly make a difference. Oxygen is an issue, and you don't want to splash or add oxygen. But if using deoxygenated water- how is that different if I had it today than a week ago? I guess I just don't see the difference. Adding it is adding it.

InBev does it all the time, as do other mega breweries.

I can see the point now. I just could not see doing it. Thanks for the info.

So Gravity on Sunday pm was 1.012, gravity Tuesday pm, 1.012. Do you think it's time to bottle?

Bottled. And now the waiting game continues... How long in the bottles do you reckon?

Should be good in 2 weeks. I dont usually bottle, but from the few batches I have, everything has been carbed by then. It may take a little longer to fully develop flavor and not taste green. Google the "5 bottle rule". This way, next time you will know when the beer will taste it's best. Cheers!

Sounds good. Here's hoping for no bottle bombs. Covered in blankets and towels just incase. Cheers for all advice all

So I popped a bottle open today. Somewhat more like a Belgian Trappist than the hoppy IPA I was going for but certainly drinkable when chilled. Will see how it matures over the next few weeks

Back