Fermenting twice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forsakensoul

Reaction score
Heard you can ferment you brew twice can it be left in there for 2 weeks or dose it need to be transferred to a Carboy right now I have it in a plastic buck with air lock and I just got a keg to put it in . So I guess my question is when one weeks up should I lave it in for a nother week or move it to keg or Carboy ?

Heard you can ferment you brew twice can it be left in there for 2 weeks or dose it need to be transferred to a Carboy right now I have it in a plastic buck with air lock and I just got a keg to put it in . So I guess my question is when one weeks up should I lave it in for a nother week or move it to keg or Carboy ?

i have to ignore most of that question, as the first 2/3 is in a foreign language. as for the last question: leave it in for a total of 3 weeks, then keg

forsakensoul said:

You cant ferment it again unless you're adding more sugars for the yeast to eat. What you heard is probably referring to the secondary fermentor which is a misnomer (usually). What you can do it rack to the 2nd carboy to pull the beer off the yeast cake. Some people like to do this to clear the beer up a little better but it can be done just as easy with leaving it in the primary for about 4 weeks. This way you don't risk any contamination from the transfer. The only time I do a secondary is when I'm aging the beer for over a month (like with a lager) or when I'm actually refermenting the beer over fruit.

Heard you can ferment you brew twice can it be left in there for 2 weeks or dose it need to be transferred to a Carboy right now I have it in a plastic buck with air lock and I just got a keg to put it in .

What?

Seriously man, read that out loud to yourself slowly.

It might as well be in Klingon...

Let it go for at least 3 weeks man, I'm so much happier with my tasty brews now that I learned not to rush them and remember to use your hydrometer for 3 readings before bottling/kegging

Seriously man, read that out loud to yourself slowly.
It might as well be in Klingon...
It is not Klingon. (trust me)

As Ryush806 points out, "secondary fermentation" is a misleading term. In the past there was a fear that leaving beer on a the yeast cake that falls to the bottom of the primary fermenter would ruin the beer. So the practice was to move the beer to a "secondary" fermentation vessel as soon as the active part of fermentation was finished. The yeasts we have available now are fresher, healthier and manufactured with much higher quality control than the yeasts of just a couple of decades back. Many of us routinely leave our beers in the primary fermenter for 3 weeks or more with no detriment to the beer. And there is some evidence that it improves it. Transferring to secondary is an opportunity for infection and oxygen to get into your beer. Additionally, using a secondary will not make your final bottled or kegged beer (after the chill haze drops out) any clearer than leaving it in primary.

A lot of us are now only using secondary if we're adding fruit, in which case there actually is fermentation going on in the "secondary fermenter;" or if we're dry hopping the beer. And even then, many of us have switched to dry hopping in the primary fermenter.

Ryush806 said:
You cant ferment it again unless you're adding more sugars for the yeast to eat. What you heard is probably referring to the secondary fermentor which is a misnomer (usually). What you can do it rack to the 2nd carboy to pull the beer off the yeast cake. Some people like to do this to clear the beer up a little better but it can be done just as easy with leaving it in the primary for about 4 weeks. This way you don't risk any contamination from the transfer. The only time I do a secondary is when I'm aging the beer for over a month (like with a lager) or when I'm actually refermenting the beer over fruit.

Thank you ryush806. And captain damage for taken the time to help me and not bash my question you are very help full

Back