Fermenting temperature question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

balzern

Reaction score
Hello all,

I was wondering what temperature and for how long a beer should be fermenting at. I am going to brew a beer that has a yeast range of 70-84 and the room that I am fermenting in is around 66 degrees. How could I get the beer warmer during fermentation? How long should that temperature be maintained.

Thanks

what the ? what yeast is that? I guess if it says that you want it there otherwise dont brew it. do you have a heat wrap a cooler fleece. if you have limited supplies your going to have to work at it to maitain those temps.
Behind your refrigerater?
maybe sticking it in a cooler with a heating pad on low, but would have to check on it.

what about using a space heater - it is wyeast 3725. How long would I have to use the space heater to maintain those temperatures?

the temp in the beer is usually 2 degrees warmer than ambient temp, so that room will be ok. as for how long, 3 weeks is what i'd go for, but that is my usual primary fermentation length

that 66 degree reading was is from the fermometers that are on my secondaries in that room. I was hoping I could just wrap a sleeping bag around it for a couple weeks - would that be sufficient. I just don't want to mess this beer up with a stalled fermentation/ off flavors.

I guess I will just wrap a blanket/sleeping blanket around the fermenter and hope for the best - or would a space heater be better? Then I would have to move my secondaries out of the room - would that be a bad idea to try to move them?

When your beer ferments it'll be at a higher temperature than the ambient room temperature. Sometimes it can be as high as 10 degrees from what I've read. My ambient room temperature is around 66 to 64 degrees where my beer ferments and the fermentation actually had the temperature of the wort around 70 to 72 or so? I wouldn't rely on just the stick on temp gauge though, I'd actually take the temperature of the wort occassionally, but you may give an opportunity for an infection if you don't santize your thermometer. Mind you I haven't tried my beer just yet, will be bottling on Thursday and trying in 3 weeks. So we'll see if I screwed things up.

Yeah I am just feeling dumb for buying this strain and having to deal with the temperature issue...fail

eh you'll be fine at your room temp. It will warm itself up, or else you'll just have a slower ferment with subdued esters. Blankets could help. Not the end of the world.

If you do have some off-flavors from the temperature issue most of those can be cured by just letting it condition in the bottles longer. DO NOT JUST DUMP IT!

Latest posts

Back