Fermenting art (w/pics)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WilliamstonBrew

Reaction score
We all know how ugly fermentation gets: the gunk, the krausen, strange rings of goo, crusted bits, all sorts of congealed and coagulated... stuff...

Sometimes it can be pretty though. Just pitched a vial of WPL300 into a 1.064 gravity wort last night at about 5:00pm. Seventeen hours later here's what's forming:

(Sorry, can't seem to be able to embed the images right in the post... they show up in the preview but not the final post)

swirl1.JPG

swirl2.JPG

swirl3.JPG

I have a 1" blowoff tube jammed into the top of this one since I expect a pretty violent fermentation...

I don't think so... it's not even been 24 hours and those are tiny bubbles, not fuzz or anything.

Anyone else think it's infection?

That's cool...I've only actually gotten to see one "pre-krausen" form...On my belgian strong....it started with an off white "glop" in the center.....looked almost like a dessicated ear, or piece of cauliflower.....couple hours later and wham...blowoff city.

Have you seen the fermentaion videos on youtube?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3D4qYnhMzQ&feature=related]YouTube - Homebrew clip of active yeast.[/ame]

The timelaspse ones are a hoot.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNl7B7yQtHM&feature=related]YouTube - Timelapse movie of 2 beers fermenting[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KO3JI2NPT1o&NR=1]YouTube - Time-Lapsed Fermenting Beer[/ame]

Great thread idea :mug:

Those videos are cool... I was thinking about trying to do a time-lapse but I don't have a power adapter for my camera (no way batteries are going to last for 2-3 days).

This batch is a dunkelweizen, and maybe it's something about wheat beers but sweet fancy Moses it was incredibly violent. The last time I did a hefe the 5/16" blowoff I used off my carboy cap wasn't cutting it. I had a cork of green protien build up under the cap. Good thing I checked it before it critical mass.

This is definitely not an infection. The "paths" in the pictures are changing and expanding into pools of bubbles, there are already visible streams of CO2 coming up the side from little colonies of yeast on the side. This one will be active.

We all know how ugly fermentation gets: the gunk, the krausen, strange rings of goo, crusted bits, all sorts of congealed and coagulated... stuff...

Sometimes it can be pretty though. Just pitched a vial of WPL300 into a 1.064 gravity wort last night at about 5:00pm. Seventeen hours later here's what's forming:

(Sorry, can't seem to be able to embed the images right in the post... they show up in the preview but not the final post)

swirl1.JPG

swirl2.JPG

swirl3.JPG

I have a 1" blowoff tube jammed into the top of this one since I expect a pretty violent fermentation...

your stuff doesn't show up because you need to have a minimum number of posts (25 I think) and be a member for a minimum number of time (not sure on this one though)

Once you reach this criteria...the pics will show up, you formatted them properly.

Back