Fermentation temperature better high or low

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmako

Reaction score
I will be brewing a cream ale this weekend and with the temps rather high here I have a choice of 75 or 60 degrees. I looked up the yeast and it likes 66 -70.

Is it better to ferment at a higher or lower temp?

Stick with the low. Perhaps you can pitch the yeast at about 70, wrap a towel around it until it starts fermenting and then remove the towel. With active fermentation it'll keep itself in the 64-66 range. At 75 ambient it'd be more like 80 which is not preferred. Low end of the scale is where I always prefer to be. If a basement & you can keep it off the cold cement floor that'd probably be a plus.

Definitely low. Why did you say 60 or 75? Are you going to place it in a basement or something alike?

If the ambient is 60 and the fermenter is in a closet or basement, the yeast will bring the beer up a couple degrees on it's own without a problem.

What yeast are you using. I use 1056 @ roughly 60-63 doing light blonde ales without a problem. The only real off flavor youll get from the lower temp is some sulphur most likely but it clears up with some time no problem. Better than headache-inducing aldehydes and off tasting esters.

low temps. high temps will give you fruity beer, and possible fusal alcohols...no good.

I just asked a similar question, so I'm glad I saw this too. Sort of the opposite of when they go low go high:agressive:

I tried using the search function for fermentation temp and It didn't show results. Just repeated the search and I found this. My mac must be getting very tired.....

Latest posts

Back