Fermentation completed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmitchell3

Reaction score
Fellow home brewers, My first batch has been in primary now for 15 days, and I've gotten two consecutive days hydrometer readings of 1.015. However the target for this ESB is 1.010-1.013. Could it be that it is ready for bottling despite being above target gravity? Thanks!

It appears it could be done. Normally hydrometer readings are taken at least 3 days apart. Maybe give it a couple more days and check again. It should be done after 3 weeks though.

Yes, it can be ready to bottle. I would wait another 5 or so days and take another hydrometer reading. This period of time will let the yeast clean up natural off flavors produced by the process of fermentation.

Fellow home brewers, My first batch has been in primary now for 15 days, and I've gotten two consecutive days hydrometer readings of 1.015. However the target for this ESB is 1.010-1.013. Could it be that it is ready for bottling despite being above target gravity? Thanks!

It's only .002 above a FG mentioned by the kit maker. That can be due to several things- hydrometer of by .002; a slightly lower attenuation of the yeast; user error (it's hard to read .002 on a hydrometer plus a few bubbles can raise up the hydrometer; etc.

A projected FG isn't really a target, it's more of a likely place for the beer to finish. You're in the ballpark, and if it's stable for at least three days or more, it's done.

Back