Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Fermentation can take 24 to 72 hrs to show visible signs.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2012, 04:20 PM   #761
edmanster
Whats Under Your Kilt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcouch View Post
Brewed my first batch last night and worried that I killed the yeast during re-hydration. I microwaved a cup of a water for about a minute or a little more then poured it on top of the dry yeast in a mason jar and covered. It sat like this for about an hour. I gave the jar a good swirl to stir it up before pitching. If the water was too hot could I have killed the yeast? It's been ~ 24 hrs since pitching with no activity (I peeped though the airlock gasket). After reading the majority of this thread I know that I need to wait a least a few more days before taking action.

Comments are appreciated. Thanks.
i know with my microwave, 1 cup of water at a minute is close to boiling so you might have fried your yeast and turnd them into food for the next ones you pitch.. i wait until it gets down to 105f..
Father of 4 girls

Suffers from Zymocenosilicaphobia

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2012, 04:23 PM   #762
H-ost
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 108

You are right, you still need to wait before you can decide if something is wrong.

Did you take a temp of the water by chance? Some people re-hydrate at 90*-105* as per the packaging instructions.

A small experiment to keep your hands busy in the meantime would be to nuke the same amount of water in the same bowl for the same amount of time and take a temp reading.

Old 09-01-2012, 06:11 PM   #763
mmcouch
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I did not measure the temp of the re-hydration water (should have though--first time lesson). I will run a test batch in the microwave to measure the temp. Heading out to the local brew shop later and will pick up a few extra yeast packets. Will wait another day probably before making the call on re-pitching.

Question: should I re-aerate before I pitch the new yeast?

Old 09-01-2012, 07:24 PM   #764
DoctorMemory
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 22

In the interest of full disclosure, I just wanted to provide the thrilling conclusion to my Belgian Dubbel fermentation flop. Turns out everything went better than expected. I went ahead and bottled, priming with the recommended 3T of maple syrup. Let it condition for two weeks and put a couple in the fridge. Popped one last night and it hissed when I cracked the cap! Not only that, but it had a pretty decent head on it when I poured it into a glass. Tasted pretty good, too! So, even though I had no airlock activity and no krausen, fermentation, it seems, found a way. I was going to give up on this whole small-batch thing, but now I think I'll invest in a refractometer and give it another shot.

Old 09-01-2012, 08:20 PM   #765
bleme
Recipes 

Liked 275 Times on 205 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcouch
I did not measure the temp of the re-hydration water (should have though--first time lesson). I will run a test batch in the microwave to measure the temp. Heading out to the local brew shop later and will pick up a few extra yeast packets. Will wait another day probably before making the call on re-pitching.

Question: should I re-aerate before I pitch the new yeast?
It takes 2 minutes to check the temp on the water. If it is over 120F, no need to waste another second: rehydrate and pitch that yeast. I always keep at least one pack of US-05 in the freezer. It lasts a LONG time that way and in the last 8 months I have needed it twice (though once was for a friend).
Old 09-02-2012, 02:13 AM   #766
H-ost
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorMemory View Post
In the interest of full disclosure, I just wanted to provide the thrilling conclusion to my Belgian Dubbel fermentation flop. Turns out everything went better than expected. I went ahead and bottled, priming with the recommended 3T of maple syrup. Let it condition for two weeks and put a couple in the fridge. Popped one last night and it hissed when I cracked the cap! Not only that, but it had a pretty decent head on it when I poured it into a glass. Tasted pretty good, too! So, even though I had no airlock activity and no krausen, fermentation, it seems, found a way. I was going to give up on this whole small-batch thing, but now I think I'll invest in a refractometer and give it another shot.
Congrats! I agree that a refractometer would be a good investment if you were to continue doing small batches.

Old 09-02-2012, 03:51 PM   #767
mmcouch
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Picked two packets of dry yeast yesterday. Guy at local brew shop said don't even bother re-hydrating just re-aerate and sprinkle straight in. Going to check my wort one more time this morning. Will report back.

Old 09-02-2012, 04:25 PM   #768
bleme
Recipes 

Liked 275 Times on 205 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcouch
Picked two packets of dry yeast yesterday. Guy at local brew shop said don't even bother re-hydrating just re-aerate and sprinkle straight in. Going to check my wort one more time this morning. Will report back.
If I had a nickel for all the bad advice given by brew shops....

Old 09-03-2012, 04:39 PM   #769
mmcouch
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Checked the wort a few minutes ago and what do you know...steady bubbles in the airlock. About 1 per second. Not sure when this started as I didn't check yesterday. Will let this go for about two weeks and bottle. I have a secondary fermenter but I don't want to risk contamination as I already opened the lid to check within the first 24 hrs.

Old 09-05-2012, 11:16 PM   #770
andycr
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 20

My first batch was going crazy when I woke up 11 hours after pitching. My second batch is at 17 hours now and nothing. Same yeast, very similar OG. Oh well.

Quick Reply