Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Fermentation can take 24 to 72 hrs to show visible signs.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2012, 11:12 PM   #621
JeepBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks it's bubbling along fine now. I moved it back to the cooler closet to finish primary but I'll shoot for a temp around 66F.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2012, 01:04 AM   #622
JeffoC6
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 28 Posts

Hi guys- so I'm a full 6 days into my primary fermentation. Day 1 and 2 really went strong, day 3 was a bit of a decline, and day 4, 5, and today, were pretty much nothing but very very tiny bubbles moving up to the surface (hardly any). The krauzen is basically gone and the yeast cake is very visible at the bottom. For the first 6 days, my ambient temp was between 60-62 (Brown Ale). I got some feedback on here that after the vigorous fermentation was finished, it would be wise to bump the ambient temp up a little higher, say 68-70, so that the yeast can clean up after itself for a week or 2.

I just did this, and hope someone can confirm that this is the right move. I moved the primary from my walk in closet where the ambient was 60, to the middle room closet where the ambient is 65. I wrapped a towel around it and I expect the temp to rise just a bit.

Sound good? (I want to ferment a complete 3 weeks, so it's OK to leave in the warmer (68-70) range for the next 2 weeks, right?

Thank you!

PS- I don't have a hydrometer...Getting one for my next brew though.

Planned:
Prim #1: Ed Wort's Bavarian Hefe
Prim #2:
Prim #3:
Prim #4:
Prim #5:
Prim #6:
Bottled: Saddle-Up IPA, Leaf House IPA

Old 01-27-2012, 05:30 AM   #623
RodHack
Recipes 

Can it last a few days? I read somewhere that fermentation usually takes place in 12 hours and can continue over the next few days.

Accept that some days you're the pigeon, and some days you're the statue.

Old 01-27-2012, 06:33 AM   #624
Rivenin
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 177 Times on 143 Posts
Likes Given: 103

@jeff. That sounds normal. And awesome! You have beer! give it a few.weeks now @rod. Yes, it can be as quick as 12-24 horrs. But can last as long as a week... if you were a wine/mead brewer, that would go to over a month. So be patient! even though it may be done fermenting. Give it a few weeks and sample it

Coming up Porter
Electric 120v Brutus 20

Old 01-28-2012, 06:24 PM   #625
Najeeb
Recipes 

Working on my first ever batch of home brew. It is the seventh day of primary. The airlock didn't start bubbling till day 4. It started to bubble every 10 seconds. Now It bubbles every 6 seconds. How do I know when to bottle? Do I check the SG? Do I wait till the bubbles stop? And also is it ok to release air lock to take samples- doesn't that expose beer to air? This batch was made from a kit- using malt concentrate and dry yeast (non-pitched). Thanks.

Old 01-28-2012, 06:27 PM   #626
Najeeb
Recipes 

The primary is in a glass carboy. Any tips for extracting a sample for a gravity reading? And when should I taste beer. Apologies for all these questions in this thread.

Old 01-28-2012, 11:49 PM   #627
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 581 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 213

Quote:
Originally Posted by Najeeb
The primary is in a glass carboy. Any tips for extracting a sample for a gravity reading? And when should I taste beer. Apologies for all these questions in this thread.
Three things you need. Your racking cane, a hydrometer flask and a small sauce pan. Flask goes into the sauce pan and onto a surface that is lower than the primary (you're going to do a mini syphon here). Fill your racking cane with water (to prime it). Holding a finger over the tip of the hose, drop the racking cane rod into your fermenter and then remove your finger from the hose over the sauce pan. Once the water flushes and beer begins flowing, fill the flask...then stop the flow with your finger again. Remove the racking cane and spill the contents into a glass for additional tasting.

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Old 01-28-2012, 11:58 PM   #628
3PegBrew
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher View Post
Three things you need. Your racking cane, a hydrometer flask and a small sauce pan. Flask goes into the sauce pan and onto a surface that is lower than the primary (you're going to do a mini syphon here). Fill your racking cane with water (to prime it). Holding a finger over the tip of the hose, drop the racking cane rod into your fermenter and then remove your finger from the hose over the sauce pan. Once the water flushes and beer begins flowing, fill the flask...then stop the flow with your finger again. Remove the racking cane and spill the contents into a glass for additional tasting.
Biermuncher...you are a very wise man
Quote:
Originally Posted by beninan View Post
Hitler gave the toothbrush 'stache a bad name...
My Keezer Build

Aller guten dinge sind drei!

Old 02-19-2012, 08:13 PM   #629
NBrasseur
Recipes 

What about timing the burps from the airlock?

It has been a long time since I've brewed up (like a decade), but from what I can remember I would just wait until the burps slowed down to less than one a minute.

Not very scientific, but I remember that it was simple and effective. I think.

Old 02-21-2012, 06:04 AM   #630
Walzenbrew
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I pitched the full 11grams of yeast even though I'm only making a 2.5 gal batch. The fermentation is going nicely so far and it's been 24 hours. Are there any side effects from over pitching the yeast?

Beginner Brewing Tutorials:
http://thebeginnersbrew.com

Quick Reply