Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > F%$& home depot

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2008, 07:37 AM   #1
stevecaaster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default F%$& home depot

Here comes a big rant, im so pissed about this so I have to write it down somewhere! just a heads up, dont get mad at me if its not a great read ;-)...

I know a lot of us homebrewers are of the DIY crowd, DIY MLTs, DIY this and that, so we often find our ways to home depot for parts. Until yesterday , I did the same, for more than just HB stuff as well, but I will never shop there again.
last night at about 9 PM I was running around gathering bits for the leap to all grain. Just as I pulled a 20 foot roll of copper tubing off the shelf for my wort chiller some guy appears out of nowhere, BAM! in my face, then asks me what I was building. I told him i was constructing a heat exchanger for cooling liquid. "WHATS THAT FOR?" he points at my bayou classic sq14 burner that I was also picking up. "cooking" I said, now feeling slightly uncomfortable that some guy is in my face just staring at me and my cart. So I try to shrug the man off by checking out the tools used for bending copper tube, but I look over my shoulder and he was standing there staring at me not doing anything. Feeling very uncomfortable at this point, I finally make my way over to the registers, and I look back and notice the guy is 10 feet behind me the whole way! WHAT THE HELL IS THIS ABOUT? im saying to myself, as im catching that terrible feeling I felt 20 seconds before I got jumped for my wallet back when I was younger.
Then I realize that he thinks im going to steal the tubing, and that the man was a security guard dressed in street clothes to be "undercover".
when I see him wisper something to the self checkout cashier all my suspisions are confirmed. I turn and tell the guy it was very obnoxious of him that he would stalk me like that, that it scared me, and I will never shop at a Home Depot again because of it. He then denied that he worked for home depot, said he was waiting for someone to pick him up, and started getting very defensive. I WAS PISSED that he wouldnt even admit to being a security guard and also pissed that he then got all definsive with me because I asked what the **** he was doing! I seriously thought either he was some pervert stalker or some thug who is up on the prices of copper who is planning on swiping my copper roll outside the store, or just some sort of sick bastard combination of the two. I swear before I knew what he was and what he was doing, I was gettin ready to wail the guy with something heavy.
Home Depot is definatly getting a bastard of a letter from me, this was entirely unacceptable. I totally agree with security at stores (even undercover shoppers)because there is tons of theft everywhere, but such intrusive undercover security measures should never become as confrontational as this did. I've seen this undercover act before at my previous job at a grocery store, but that guy would never confront a person or clearly follow them up and down isles, and jesus he would be in the camera room until he saw something suspicious, then he would be out on the prowl. This guy sucked at his job. and I feel he was desparate to bag someone that night. anyone else have such experiences at home depot?

Old 03-07-2008, 08:32 AM   #2
skou
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Wait, you were on your way to the registers? Yep, perfect way to steal stuff!! You PAY for it, and steal it to your car! What a bleeping thief you are! Imagine, actually PAYING for copper! (Wouldn't pass here in Arizona!)

(Can you detect the sarcasm here?)

Someone in HD asks me what I'm doing, he'd better have an orange vest on, and be willing to help me out, or I'm going OFF on him!

(Oh, just so you know, the #2 crime in Az is stealing copper. Second to stealing identities. {Or, maybe stealing cars.})

steve

Old 03-07-2008, 08:52 AM   #3
shafferpilot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 6

In my younger days, teasing "undercover" security was one of the best games. yep I was one of those little bastards who hung out at the mall. We would go into one of the bigger stores and pull somethin off a shelf and stuff it in a pocket or under a shirt. Then wait till we saw the out-of-place person following. Then made our way up and down isles to find a spot out of the cameras' view to dump the "stolen" merchandise and head for the door. When they grab me, I start raising holy hell, kickin, screamin... the whole 9 yards. Then laughed my ass off when they made me empty my pockets but don't find anything. hilarious. My other trick was to get the "undercovers" on my tail and then approach them. I'll never forget the young woman in a business suit paroozing the tool isle at K-Mart for over 10 minutes. Come on, people; is that woman really shopping for a hammer?? I walked right up to her and asked if I could help her find something (she looked like she'd seen a ghost), if she needed something nailed, if K-Mart truly had a hammer BIG enough to get the job done..... Damn, I was a real $hit-head back then..... ah memories

A great man knows that he knows NOTHING

Newsman Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2008, 09:15 AM   #4
Denny's Evil Concoctions
Grande Megalomaniac

Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 42 Posts

Year ago I was holding an event and my busines partener decided to buy a sho[pping cart worth of candy for resale at Costco. My Mom was woth us doing some shopping as well. We were stalked all though Costco by an ibviosly security dude. Pissed us off. That was $800 in Cany that was purchased. Made us feel like criminals for PAYING for CANDY!

Some of these guys need another job.

I may not be an expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express........ 6 months ago.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/denn...9/#post1766281

http://groups.homebrewtalk.com/Tapro...ook_Repository

Newsman Likes This 
Old 03-07-2008, 12:55 PM   #5
Bernie Brewer
Grouchy Old Fart

Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

In my days as an electrician, I have helped wire just about all of the big box stores at one time or another. I have done Home Despots, Menard's, Lowe's. Wal-Marts. I have dealt with store personnel at set-up time enough to form quite an opinion of them. If they treat the crews like sh!t, then I have an extra disdain for the retailer than I normally would. I will never set foot in a Walmart, Home Despot, Walgreen's, or Lowe's unless I ABSLUTELY can't find what I need anywhere else.

"Why don't we get drunk and screw?" Jimmy Buffett
Newsman Likes This 
Old 03-07-2008, 01:54 PM   #6
cubbies
Tastes like butterdirt

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Sounds like you missed a perfectly good opportunity to screw with someone.

Old 03-07-2008, 02:03 PM   #7
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubbies
Sounds like you missed a perfectly good opportunity to screw with someone.
What I was thinkin too. Like, ask the undercover guy, in a hushed whisper, "hey, chief, you know how much copper's goin' for on the street these days? I gotta unload some stuff..."

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)
Newsman Likes This 
Old 03-07-2008, 02:12 PM   #8
Glibbidy

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Box stores suck. period. Wal-mart, Home Depot. They can all kiss my a$$.
Shop locally.

Old 03-07-2008, 02:18 PM   #9
cd2448

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I reckon the guy thought you were going to build a meth lab. If you'd had a 10-gallon drum of pseudo-ephedrine in the back of your car, he might have seen that and decided to "investigate".

Old 03-07-2008, 02:21 PM   #10
fratermus
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevecaaster
but I look over my shoulder and he was standing there staring at me not doing anything. Feeling very uncomfortable at this point, I finally make my way over to the registers, and I look back and notice the guy is 10 feet behind me the whole way! WHAT THE HELL IS THIS ABOUT? im saying to myself, as im catching that terrible feeling I felt 20 seconds before I got jumped for my wallet back when I was younger.
Sounds like a nutter to me.

It might also be a reminder to see if your state has a concealed handgun license option. It would be a pity to be shivved in a HD parking lot for a roll of copper.

Batch history | yeast slants | Suspending yeast
People Like This 

Quick Reply