Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > EZ Cap Bottles lose all carbonation upon chilling

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2009, 05:40 AM   #1
binaryc0de
Torrence Brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default EZ Cap Bottles lose all carbonation upon chilling

So I'm getting ready to sample my first batch, a doppelbock with an OG of 1.070. I ran this batch with 2-2-2 [2 weeks Fermenting (10 days Primary then racked to secondary), 2 weeks carbonating, and 2 weeks warm conditioning]. So being very anxious to sample my efforts, I quickly chilled one in the freezer and found that it had nice carbonation at first, but it seemed to gradually flatten in the glass as I was drinking. It did have a good flavor though. So I decided to give it another week and try again. This time I placed 2 bottles in the refrigerator for a couple of days to chill and found that all the carbonation had left the bottle. I used 3/4 cup of corn sugar for priming this 5 gal batch. Has anyone else had experiences like this with EZ cap bottles?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2009, 06:17 AM   #2
jbolte1976
Recipes 

I haven't ran into that. Are your rubber gaskets in good shape?

Old 04-14-2009, 12:40 PM   #3
Brewmasters Warehouse
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Just a few thoughts

You may just not have the sugar mixed evenly throughout the batch causing some bottles to be undercarbed.

When you chill your beer the beer absorbs more CO2 than when it is warmer.

The bottles may not be sealed properly, letting the CO2 out of the bottle.

Purchase a recipe with Brew Builder and save 10% off the recipe. Use discount code: BBBYO

Become a fan of BMW on Facebook.

Old 04-14-2009, 01:27 PM   #4
Figbash
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The seals need to be in good shape. If they are compressed or rotted, they won't seal properly. The clasp should require some effort to close.

Tom

Old 04-14-2009, 01:36 PM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4949 Times on 3585 Posts
Likes Given: 1002

If the bottles have only been conditioning for a couple of weeks, they probably just aren't carbed up sufficiently. That yeast is pretty tired out, with a fairly high level of attenuation, so it might take four weeks or more for them to carb up the bottles (assuming the gaskets aren't leaking). Keep it at 70 degrees for about two more weeks, then stick one in the fridge for 24 hours and try one. I bet it'll be much better!

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 04-14-2009, 02:31 PM   #6
KerryD
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've been fighting carb issues with a couple of brews as well.... and I'm using the 16 oz ez caps. Looking back at the ones that are carbed and the ones I'm fighting, I'm of the opinion that I didn't get enough yeast into the bottling bucket. I think just a second or two of sucking off the bottom of the primary made the difference on the ones that have nice carbing.

But, this is all based on only 6 total batches, so don't put too much weight in that.

Primary I: Barley Wine Divine #6 attempt
Primary II: Saint Arnold's Elissa Clone
3 Gal BB: Ed Wort's Apfelwein
Next up: .....
Bottled: Wing and a Prayer IPA, AHS Blue Moon, Centennial Blond, Yoopers Dogfish 60 Clone, Texas Wheat, SN Celebration Ale clone, Ed's Haus Pale Ale, 6 variations of Apfelwein

Old 04-14-2009, 04:20 PM   #7
binaryc0de
Torrence Brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Thanks for the replies. My EZ cap seals are brand new and this is the first batch they have been used with. So it shouldn't be do to rotten seals or something like that. I did notice that when I opened the ones in the refrigerator I didn't get the pop that I got from the others and even after unlatching, the seal had to be pulled off. So it seemed like it still had a good seal, but then again I didn't have any carbonation either so I'm not sure. When I primed the batch I just gently siphoned on top of the sugar solution. Should I have gently stirred to mix? At this point I'm just trying to determine if the cause is the EZ caps or the way I primed the batch. I have another batch in my secondary that will be ready to bottle in about a week. So I'm wondering if I need to try different type of bottles.

Old 04-14-2009, 05:26 PM   #8
davesrose
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I only use EZ top bottles now. Since they are new....barring that they just have some funky design to them, I would first start experimenting with your brewing techniques. Natural carbonation can be tricky: as you need the right amount of yeast still in suspension, sugar, and time. What was your FG? A greater attenuation means less yeast cells stayed remaining in suspension. Sounds like at least some of your bottles didn't have enough carbonation. I found I had quite a bit of unevenness with my carbonation if I didn't let my sugar mixture cool down first before putting the beer on top of it (even with stirring). I'd first double check your priming technique: make sure your sugar water is at a similar temp as the beer and do lightly stir the mixture. Adjusting transfer to secondary, etc, might give you better results as well.

On the Bench: Racer 5 IPA

"One of the first things early caveman did, when he crawled out of the mudd, was to make beer. And cavemen everywhere are still making beer...and drinking beer." - Jean Sheperd

Old 04-14-2009, 05:37 PM   #9
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 11

More time... that is all you need. That's a big beer, give the yeast a break. Store these warm for another month or so, then go crack your next one.

If you need a quick turn-around beer, pick one with an OG below 1.045.

Old 04-14-2009, 05:48 PM   #10
binaryc0de
Torrence Brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

OG was 1.070 and FG was 1.018. When I primed it is true that I didn't let the sugar mixture cool down and I didn't stir. With my first batch I left a good quart of room between the racking cane and the trub when racking to secondary. I recently racked my second batch to the secondary. This time I pulled closer to the bottom and didn't leave very much behind. In both batches I used Wyeast American Ale II (1272). I'm hoping that making these changes will help out my second batch to carbonate better.

Quick Reply